To Have Friendship is a Blessing

The Importance Of Friends and 'Friends'

We'll be there for you!

130
The Importance Of Friends and 'Friends'
https://www.netflix.com/watch/70273997?trackId=13752289&tctx=0%2C0%2Cba639694-91a5-436c-80e6-cdc4511b8cbc-73069279%2C%2C

Okay, so Buzzfeed came out with an article (updated now) that brought the news that Netflix was taking out "Friends." I was legit so sad when I read that because I've become so attached to the t.v. show that saying goodbye to it meant saying goodbye to a friend...forever! When I first watched the show, I didn't know it'd be that show I would watch every. single. day. I was crazy.

Actually, no, I wasn't- everyone else was crazy for judging me for re-watching episodes. I don't know what it was that made me so obsessed with this show; but after quite some time, I realized I became attached to the characters in that I see them in me and in my friends.

Being a student at a university protects me from the real world. I don't have to worry about finances, and there's not much pressure on me to find a job because my priorities lie in my studies. It's not a big deal until I realize that...it is. A lot of things feed that part of my brain that triggers stress and worry. It starts screaming that I'm a senior aka I'm retiring from school.

I'll be leaving my younger friends. I'll feel alone and trapped in this depressing world I've come up with because I don't know what life is like without school to keep me productive. I'd feel like an impostor, feeling insecure that I'm just not good enough or even intelligent enough to reach my hopes and dreams. There's that constant worry. It's always there; but the thing is: it's just a worry, something that isn't written on my timeline.

Then a light comes up. It's the same light that makes me all warm inside, the one that reminds me to rest in God's love. Life's a piece of work (who knew?), but when I look at it, I see my friends. My self that's been through experiences of rejection and other negativities knocks on my head to tell me to quit worrying so much.

"Friends" showed my worry of being a twenty-one-year-old (hehe she can buy booze now) without security post-grad (my parents are still gonna take me in, don't worry lol).

I see this through the character Rachel Green, who leaves the comfortable and secure lifestyle and survives New York as a waitress- in the beginning. She's the proxy that allows us to experience this sense of growth. She starts the series as a waitress and ends it as a successful manager in the fashion industry. When she mentioned that she wanted to be something other than a shoe, it struck me that her leaving that comfortable lifestyle was freedom for self-discovery. Friendship made the big, scary city a little less scary. When I was deciding what career to do, for the longest time, I only gave myself either the choice of medicine or law- my "shoe." Time at university- time away from my first home- led me to discover my path as a creative. It was scary in that, like Rachel Green, I was starting from a foreign path, but I knew I wanted to keep going. Life after college is an even bigger challenge, but with this path and having friends in it, I bet it's going to be an adventure.

We all share the struggles, but we're there for each other (when the rain starts to pour like we've been there before). I see this and think to myself that I'm worried over some void. The thought of me graduating college is pretty scary. It's a lot "do this" and "do that," but I think I just need to layoff myself a bit. I'm so wound up in that worry of becoming a failure, but the happiness I found is stronger. As the backbone of the series, friendship always powers through. I'm not saying that any of this answers my obsession with this series; however, the friends part of "Friends" definitely has a big impact. The idea of having love on your side throughout your struggles and fears always and forever is, well, pretty cool.