To My Best Friend In Your Final High School Semester

My best friend who just so happens to be a guy...listen up!

291
Marcy Gold

To my best friend who happens to be a guy:

You mean the world to me. You will always mean the world to me.

I left you behind to move halfway across the country for college, but I wouldn't have if I didn't know our paths would cross again. I know that our futures have each other in them, no matter how far we both may travel.

I wanted nothing more than for you to fall in love with my university just as much as I did, but I was being selfish. I was being selfish to think that I could have you all to myself. In realizing how perfect Oklahoma State University was for me and how well I adjusted to life on campus, I knew you had to find a college that would do the same thing for you, but I still selfishly hoped you would find your second home in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Unfortunately, you didn't. But I can't be sad or upset that I lost you to Gainesville, Florida. I can only be jealous of how tan you're going to get attending school at the University of Florida. I refuse to hate that you are going to be a Gator. I can only be happy and thankful that you will cheer just as hard as I do for Oklahoma State.

And there is an upside to this whole "separate schools" thing. While you may be orange and blue, and my orange and black will reign true in my blood, we share orange. We share the love, the spirit and the fight of our own teams, knowing it means the same for both of us.

I know every day you grow more and more frustrated with sitting in a building for six hours at a time. I know that the work seems tedious, and the drama seems pathetic. I felt everything that you are going through at this time last year. Just know that after graduation, that diploma is your ticket--your ticket to Florida and wherever else it may take you.

And I know you want to forget about it now and never step foot back in that dreaded high school again, but promise me one thing: promise me you'll try to enjoy the last three months at home with your loving parents and your friends that totally annoy you sometimes. It'll mean a lot around this time next year.

Yours Truly,

Your Second Semester College Best Friend