Franz Kafka's Letter To His Father

Franz Kafka's Letter To His Father

Kafka's personal life bleeds into his work.

2676
Franz Kafka's Letter To His Father
Culture in Life
“You asked me recently why I maintain that I am afraid of you. As usual I am unable to answer…” (Kafka 42).

The quote is from Franz Kafka's letter to his father. Franz Kafka is an author, prophetic in is stories because they foreshadow the holocaust. People know a lot about his major works, but not much about his personal life, especially because he was such an aloof man. The letter explains why he is afraid of his father and how they became so distant.

"The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka is about a man named Gregor who is turned into a bug and as a result, is alienated and isolated by his family. In "The Metamorphosis" there are similarities between Kafka and Gregor’s lives. Gregor represents how Kafka felt growing up, and their relationships with their fathers parallel. Kafka portrays his tragic flaw through Gregor’s guilt and lack of confidence, which ultimately lead to Gregor’s isolation, alienation and death.

"The Metamorphosis" used the physical deformity of Gregor being a beetle to symbolize how Gregor felt on the inside. As a traveling salesmen, Gregor did not get much rest.

“A man has to have his sleep. Other traveling salesmen like the harem women… Just let me try that with my boss; I’d be kicked out on the spot.” (Kafka 119).

Gregor’s boss never gave Gregor a break, and he talked to him as if he was a lesser being, and made Gregor feel like a bug.

“Besides, it’s so peculiar the way he seats himself on it and talks down on the employees from great heights…” (Kafka 119).

The boss was degrading towards Gregor and the other employees. This is symbolic to Kafka feeling like an insect as a result being controlled by his father, similar to the way Gregor was controlled by his boss and had to keep his job for his family. Kafka did not want to disappoint his family, so he did as his father instructed. Kafka, like Gregor, felt belittled by his father and as if he was insignificant, because both fathers were stern, strict and unaffectionate.

“After several vigorous thrashes had failed to have any effect, you took me out of my bed, commanded me out on to the paulathche.” (Kafka 45).

The quote from Kafka’s letter to his father shows how he was punished like an animal by being put outside, the same way Gregor’s father herded him back into his room using his cane.

“But he was afraid it would take too long, trying the father’s patience even more and at any moment now the cane in the father’s hand threatened to deal the lethal blow to Gregor’s back and head… he occasionally even steered the pivoting motion from a distance with the tip of his cane.” (Kaka 138).

Gregor was treated like a dog when the father ushered Gregor back in the room hissing and using the cane, similar to the way Kafka was put outside like dog. Author Thomas Foster explains the way physical afflictions are used in stories to represent internal illnesses with the example of a man named Jake and his demise as reflected through his injury: “All three cover the same ground of mental damage, spiritual desire, and the death of hope. Jakes wounding, then personal, hysterical, cultural, mythic” (Foster 198). This is the same way Gregor’s appearance reflects his mental state of feeling like a bug, being depressed, and having anxiety caused by his family and work.

“I also have to put up with these agonies of traveling, worrying about making trains, having bad, irregular meals, meeting new people all the time.” (Kafka 118).

This is symbolic of Kafka’s suffering from the mental condition of depression, shown through his aloof behavior and his anxiety over his parents' deteriorating health. Gregor is also symbolic of Kafka’s isolation from other people including his family. This is represented when Gregor describes how he has never formed a committed relationship with anyone because of his job. Gregor indirectly caused his isolation before his metamorphosis, because he chose to only focus on his work and provide for his family, instead of forming “lasting friendships that mellow into anything intimate.” (Kafka 118). Kafka created his own isolation in a way, because of his lack of confidence and insecurities.

Both Kafka’s and Gregor’s insecurities are based on their relationship with their fathers. Gregor’s father was strict and unemotional towards him and his metamorphosis,

“The father clenched his fist, glaring at Gregor as if trying to shove him back into room…” (Kafka 133).

Kafka’s father was also distant and overpowered him, causing his son to lack self-confidence, develop anxiety and harbor life-long guilt. Similarily, in "The Metamorphosis" Gregor is consumed by guilt, not only about not being able to provide for his family, but that he never gets to mouth off to his boss or form any ties with people. His lack of human interaction lead to his isolation and feeling depressed. Gregor could not do anything about his boss or degrading job because he had to support his family. This represents Kafka’s guilt over not being able to choose his degree or job.

Kafka’s guilt in not being able to pursue the job he actually wanted, and because of his parents' bad health he did not have much time to write. This is represented in "The Metamorphosis" because Gregor was the only one working because his parents were too old and his sister was too young, so he did not have much time for himself. Both Kafka’s and Gregor’s devotion to their family lead to their isolation and guilt.

Gregor’s isolation and alienation was caused by his boss and family treating him like a lesser person and abusing him as if he was nothing but an insect. Kafka had to have a degree and job that he did not want so he could please his family, and when he did get the job he wanted he broke off relationships, so he could focus on his writing. The alienation and isolation of Gregor was formed by the abuse he received from his family. The depression and anxiety caused Gregor to allow himself to die so his family lived easier. Kafka and Gregor both focused on their work and family so much is caused their isolation and guilt. This formed their depression and anxiety, which were the tragic flaws that lead to their demise.