I’m Forever Grateful For My Mother

I’m Forever Grateful For My Mother

I don’t regret anything I went without. I am grateful that I learned these lessons.

400
I’m Forever Grateful For My Mother
Picture Quotes

I grew up in a single-parent household. I had two older sisters, one 5-year difference the other 8-year difference. My mom worked a full-time job to provide for me and my sisters. Many nights we ate crockpot dinners or easy to make food that my older sisters could make. My mom worked in the hotel industry (and still does). Many times I would be picked up from little league softball by another parent on the team and dropped off in at mom’s office to sit in the corner and watch movies and do homework. I learned from a young age what work ethic was.

Side Note: Two years ago, when I was working at my internship, I had the worst allergies I had ever had. Like sore throat and couldn’t breathe out of my nose for two weeks. My Chef at the time was surprised I came to work every day on time. He even asked me once what my mother would say if I compiled about being sick and having to work. I told him, “she would tell me to suck it up and get to work.” He laughed and said, "I love your mom already." (Yeah, I love her too)

Once I was a senior in high school my mom changed jobs to work a Monday-Friday, 9-5 job, with the occasion of a few Saturdays if there was a wedding. Occasionally I would help go to the weddings and help mom get up or even better, I would be the babysitter. There are many families I got to meet through working with my mom, one in particular, who became like an “extended” family that I still love to keep in touch with today and seeing their family grow.

When I started my freshmen year of college my mom got a second job to help pay for my school. The past four years I have tried my best not to be the child who calls their parents because they needed money. I know my mom had many things to worry about other than sending me money so I could go to dinner with my friends or go shopping. If I wanted to do something or wanted something I had to pay for it myself.

I don’t regret anything I went without. I am grateful that I learned these lessons. Many “adults” that I go to school with do not understand this. Sorry, not sorry. Thank you, Mom, for teaching me how to be an independent, hard-working woman.