For Haley. There Will Never Be A Better Dog Than You!

She was more human than dog!

45
Teela Sammons

Haley began life in Tennessee where she got off to a rough start. She was rescued by Big Fluffy Dog Rescue and was sent to a foster family in Connecticut. It was by a stroke of luck that my fiance found her on an adoption website and decided he wanted to give her the forever home that she deserved.

Haley came to us as a bundle of nerves and the anxiety of a foster child that had been moved around several times in a few months. She worked out her anxiety out on our couch cushions and the futon downstairs. Through it all, we lovingly scolded and corrected her behavior with the help from Bark Busters. Haley finally settled in and realized that she wasn't going anywhere and was here to stay.

When it was time for a new couch we purchased a sectional with a chase just for Haley. It was her spot and somehow she just knew. It has a perfect view out of the picture window in our living room. Haley had a real interest in the neighborhood and would spend several hours looking out that window.

She started Doggie Daycare and loved it. She made many friends there and couldn't wait to arrive each morning when she would get dropped off. On the trip there she would stand with her front legs on the center console between the two front seats and 'navigate' the way. The excitement was expressed with many whines and whimpers as we neared the destination.

She was a wonderful big sister to our son. Many times she would be guardian over him when he was little. Watching out for the little person that liked to play with her ears and he would giggle at the flicking motion they made. Never once was she angry when he pulled her tail or grabbed her a little too tightly. There was not a mean bone in her body.

For her to come from such a horrible background in her early life she had the sweetest disposition and was so loving. She crawled inside my heart but now that space that she occupied is empty grieving her loss. Haley had such a love for life and people. She just had a way of making you love her. Even people that were unsure of her.

Her years with us went by so quickly. We thought that she would be with us for many years but life can be so cruel sometimes. April of this year she was diagnosed with T-Cell Lymphoma which crushed our hearts. For dogs, it's a death sentence. It's aggressive and hard to keep in remission but we found a way to hopefully cure her. A Bone Marrow Transplant. Her insurance covered it so we jumped at the chance. I spent months away from her working to raise money for the trip to North Carolina where the procedure would take place.

We really hoped that it was the key to cure her. Upon arrival for an examination, there was no evidence of cancer anywhere in her body. We were overjoyed and it gave us more hope that she would be cured of the horrendous disease that plagued our little girl.

We were excited to have her come after a month away from us. We brought her home under strict instruction that she was to remain quiet. For Haley, this was not something we looked forward to doing. She was not the "quiet" type so we had to mildly sedate her.

All of it seemed for not when we got word that her Lymphoma was back and then her blood counts started dropping. The oncologist took a bone marrow aspirate and the results were worse than we feared. Her marrow wasn't producing. Ultimately our little girl was suffering from graft failure but we didn't find out until it was too late.

She didn't deserve to die! She was such a loving and caring pup that deserved so much more. I watched my little girl struggle to breathe as we raced against time to get her to the Emergency vet but it wasn't enough. Haley passed away in our car before we ever got out of the driveway.

Leaving her in the exam room when we said our final goodbyes was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. There are never enough words to describe my darling girl. I lost my daughter!

Haley, you were loved more than words can ever begin to express. I miss you more than anything in the world and I'd give anything to get you back. There will never be enough words to sum up your life with us. I hope you are running free and chasing all the squirrels in puppy heaven. Mommy loves you!