When Disaster Hits

When Disaster Hits

To the people of East Tennessee, stay strong

28
When Disaster Hits
Bruce McCamish Phtography

Robert Frost once said,

"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice."

If you live in or around East Tennessee, you know first hand that there has been no rest lately. Fires, deaths, storms, and disasters have consumed our towns, our minds, and our lives.

East Tennessee is known for a lot of things... It's beauty, it's hospitality, and for being the buckle of The Bible Belt. Living in the south my entire life has really given me an appreciation for the little things in life... Like family and friends and church.

Over the past month or two we have had fire after fire. Some started of natural causes, and some because people have no appreciation for the things God gave them. Our beautiful state is being burned alive and all we can do is just watch.

Some people panic, others try to take action, others pray, and some just watch as everything God gave us and everything we have built is taken away in the blink of an eye.

This week Gatlinburg, TN was set on fire. It was a place that many called home, and a place I personally loved. A place people invested memories and time at. A place that created stories that you could one day tell your children and your grandchildren about. A place that means so much to our Tennessee family. And a place that was almost destroyed in a single day.

Disaster is an ugly word. It leaves a taste in your mouth that you remember for life. Lately, disaster has consumed East Tennessee, and these are the things we will carry with us forever.

On November 30th a tornado swept through parts of East Tennessee. Towns like Cleveland, Athens, Calhoun, Benton, and Etowah were greatly effected. Towns that these big cities and these "big people" have never heard of, but towns that we call home, and towns that we love. This tornado blew peoples homes away, it destroyed schools, and it tore down businesses, and it killed people. This tornado is something that we will remember and something that we will carry with us forever.

After these fires and after these tornados - in the rubble of the destruction, bibles and statues of Jesus are found, and we take these as signs for better days. Signs for days where there will be no more destruction and no more disaster. And as we sit and wait, we wonder what comes next?

Our hearts are breaking for East Tennessee. This place that WE call home, and this place that WE love. WE ask for prayers for our towns and communities as WE begin to rebuild our surroundings and our lives.

“Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.”

‭‭-Psalm‬ ‭57:1‬