I Followed My Dream Even Though People Didn't Believe In Me

I can and I will. Watch me!

188
Anne Good

Ever since I was in 8th grade, my dream was to go to Grand Canyon University. Now that I finished my first year at GCU, I have proved many people wrong and have had the time of my life. A lot of people thought I could never move across the US for college and just leave everything in Indiana. Well to the people who didn’t believe in me, this is for you.

1. Guess what? I actually did move across the U.S. and survived my first year

Arizona and Indiana are exactly 1,660.6 miles away from each other, which is far. Yes, it was hard at first to move so far away from my family but there were so many other good things there for me. I successfully survived my first year and have had so much fun! Yes, sometimes I get homesick, but with the friends that I have made at school, I have had help overcoming this.

2. I have finally met the best friends that I have been waiting for my whole life.

Yes, I have/had friends in high school but they weren't the amazing friends I have now. I have made the best friends that I will spend the rest of my life talking to and hanging out with. My friends from GCU have helped me grow a ton and have been there for me through the ups and downs of being a college student. I honestly can't believe I went this long without knowing them!

3. I have made the best memories.

Going so far away for school has given me the opportunity to make so many memories! From traveling by plane for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring break to basketball games with my friends, many memories have been made. Like the one time I was coming back to school from home and I thought my suitcase was lost in the airport and I ended up meeting someone that goes to GCU and the next day he was in my class! Or there were the many times my friends and I dressed up for basketball games and then went to Chick-fil-A to get ice cream and fries!

4. I have been pushed out of my comfort zone many times and I actually survived.

Having to do things on my own like travel and be away from my family unlike everyone else has definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone. Whether it is going to a friends house for a holiday because you can't go home, or traveling by yourself and having to figure out where to go when you had a plane change. Leaving home and going somewhere far for college is such an amazing experience. You learn so much about yourself and the world!

5. I moved on from high school and I'm still thriving.

Moving on from high school was a great thing that happened when I moved to Arizona. Not being around everyone from high school has helped me move on. I have more things to look forward in life other than high school gossip and relationships that weren't worth it. Yes, high school was a fun time but, I have moved on and there are much bigger things in life.