The Florida School Shooting Needs To Prompt Politicians To Wake Up
Politics

How many times does this need to happen?

329

On February 14th, 2018, students at Majory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida walked into the doors of their building without a second glance. Some were probably worried about trivial things, like Valentine’s Day or an upcoming exam. Some were eager for after-school plans, practices or rehearsals.

Instead, students were left hiding in closets, texting relatives in what could potentially be the last time they could ever spoke to them. They saw their classmates shot right before their very eyes. They had to witness their dead bodies and had to remain helpless, listening to gunshots echo throughout the school.

Teachers were frightened beyond belief. They did every element they were instructed to do in their training for in-school shooter situations, yet there were still dead students in their classroom. These were supposed to be the children they were supposed to education for a bright future. Suddenly that future has dissipated in the blink of an eye.

This was supposed to be a place where children would be safe. Where they would be able to gain an education and prepare for what was ahead. This is not a place where they should be crying and taking shelter, fearful that the next few minutes will be their last. This is not supposed to happen.

But it does. And it’s happened 25 times in 2018. 25 times in the past year alone that innocent lives have been taken due to mass shootings, yet no prevention has been done to prevent these horrible incidents from happening. They happen so often that our society is becoming desensitized by the information. I don’t want to check the news and have “Another shooting?” be the first thing I say. It shouldn’t be this common.

I see politicians offering condolences. While offering condolences and prayers does provide comfort to those experiencing loss, it is hypocritical when they offer no protocols or regulations to have proper gun control. It shouldn’t be this easy for people to acquire a gun. It shouldn’t be this easy for people to acquire an assault rifle or a machine gun. I don’t know how many more people are going to suffer from this until people realize this.

17 children didn’t come from school yesterday. 17 children will not be able to hold a high school diploma. 17 children will not be able to experience another Summer vacation, another holiday or another birthday party. 17 children will have to be buried by their families within the next week. Let that sink in.