From Floor Mates To Room Mates

From Floor Mates To Room Mates

A thank you to the girl that has put up with living with me.

18
From Floor Mates To Room Mates
Michaela Nolan

Before I entered college, I was always told that I would find some of my closest friends during my four years at my new home. While going into my freshmen year, I would say that I was a combination of both excited and a little bit nervous about meeting new people. I would consider myself a very shy person until I really know someone, so I thought college was going to be a little intimidating. During my freshmen year I decided to go with the random rooming situation, which worked out perfectly fine. My roommate and I were actually the complete opposite of each other, but we got along and it worked out in the long run. However, my advice for all incoming freshmen would be this; you shouldn’t be afraid to reach out to other people and hang out with those other than your roommate.

Little did I know that a girl living down the hall from me would soon become someone who is one of my closest friends. To be honest, I’m not really sure that I could pin point when we exactly met, or when I knew that we would be friends. Thankfully this girl put up with me through last year and I am lucky enough to call her my current roommate.

So this is for you, the girl who is more than a friend and roommate, but more like the sister that I wanted when I was growing up. Thank you for always putting up with me and the random shit that I do.

One memory that vividly sticks out from last year is laying in the hallway, feet on the wall, eating Cheetos and singing along to Disney Pandora. If there was a sentence to ever describe our friendship, I would say that pretty much sums it up. You have been there for me more times than you know, especially this year and I never really thank you for it. Thanks for singing along to Disney Pandora and not judging me when I wrap myself up in a blanket and think it’s a good idea to stand on my desk and chair. Thank you for going to the Hickey Dining Hall with me, even though you’ve already eaten. Thanks for agreeing with me on how bad the food is, and just reverting back to the “usual” — salad. Thanks for loving Chinese food as much as I do and ordering it with me when we’re just in the mood. Without you I'm not sure who I could enjoy anything pickle flavored with, and for that I'm thankful.

Thanks for always knowing when something is wrong. For making me laugh when I’m in the middle of crying. Thanks for knowing what to say when I’m having a rough day. Thank you for answering the phone at weird times when I’m hysterically crying and giving me a hug to glue me back together. Thank you for pretending that it is okay for me to wear a dress when it’s snowing out and sometimes doing the same. Having an 8:30 everyday is literally the worst thing ever not just because I get up at 7, but also because we can’t get ready together and jam out in the morning. This is something that is probably super stupid, but I really do miss it.

Growing up with three older brothers, I never had to share a room with anyone. Sharing a room with you over the past couple of months has been one of the best parts of this school year. You have not only shared you room with me, but also you heart, advice, and a friendship that is more than I could’ve ever asked for. Even though we aren’t completely the same, and we each like slightly different things you brought me so many happy memories into my life.

This is to you, the girl I was luck enough to have met. The one who has been by my side no matter what. The one who can make me laugh when I thought the only problem to my solution was Chinese food or ice cream. The one who is as crazy as I am and brings out the best in me. Thank you for not only being my roommate, friend, but mostly my sister!