First-Time Freshman: The Year In Recap As Told By 'Bridesmaids'

13

Freshman year: freedom, new friends, no parents and college. New experiences, new places, new people and a new place to call home. How exciting was this time? WE MADE IT! The struggles of the previous years of either public, private or homeschooling were over.

Coming into this new world, we were scared, nervous, excited or dreading the time away from home. First off telling your family goodbye was sad. No more home-cooked meals and trying to survive on your own was a weird feeling to have. But on the inside, deep down ...

First week of school, and you get bombarded with how many free t-shirts? At least two a day was considered a success. Oh, might I add free food too?

Everything was falling into place. The dorm room was situated, decorated with our lives back home and full of snacks. Meeting new people at all of the awkward welcome freshmen events. No class for a few days, so exploring campus, practicing our schedules. Free time and then syllabus week! I could actually do this whole college thing.

One day, while meeting new people around campus you find your future spouse.

Then it all happened at once. Buying book, classes, homework, exams, papers ... First breakdown.

Cafeteria food became unbearable. Filthy meal plans. Why did I choose so many meals? The options were so slim. How much DB do you have left? And one night you just had the wrong slice of pizza ...

First semester was over. Wow. Glad that's finished. Time for Christmas break and many posts of everyones "Look at my GPA!" on social media...

Just kidding, be proud of those grades!

Christmas break became miserable. The routine was sleep and eat. The pantry and fridge were stocked full, oh happy day! It just became a long time of hibernation, nothing to stress about and how much Netflix could I watch.

Since break was over, it was now time to finish out year number one. Walking onto campus again with head held high because we were back.

Then all over again. Books, class, essays, exams. Breakdown. When will this semester end? How many days till spring break?

Laziness took a toll. Uh oh, grades were slipping. I've been to my 8 a.m. at least once this week, I think it'll be okay to miss. *Looks at alarm clock ... goes back to sleep* I missed a clicker quiz? Oh well.

Reality starts to get to you about your social life. Who am I?

You start to question everything. Why am I doing this?

You can't trust anyone.

You just want another round of your favorite fast food at midnight, but you can't because you've been there so much.

You've been up so late every night leading up to finals and finals week that you start to imagine things.

And then with barely enough energy you pack your room as fast as possible and race home to the best place possible ... your bed. And with that freshmen year was over.