6 Things To Consider Before Getting Your First Tattoo

Worst case, Wite-Out is still an option, right?

122
https://www.pexels.com/@isabella-mendes-107313

Planning to get your first tattoo is all fun and games until it comes down to actually getting it. Here's some stuff you should probably be thinkin' about before sitting down for the inkin'.

1. It's permanent.

This one seems to be the most obvious and it's probably the thing you'll hear most from people when you talk about wanting to get your ink on. How long have you been thinking of getting this? Do you like this idea enough to have it on you forever? Does it mean a lot to you to the point you wouldn't regret getting it in the future? Yeah, sure there are tattoo removal options but when it comes down to it, that route has its own slew of things to consider, so you should probably just slow your roll and really remind yourself of this, Sally.

2. It's painful (maybe).

https://unsplash.com/photos/B_VLJouyKR4

Depending on what you're getting and where you're planning to get it, this could be more or less true. Some of us are weenies and some of us ~love the pain~, so really this is a gamble. I'd recommend getting something small for your first time so you don't have to commit to a giant piece if you find you aren't as much of a masochist as you thought.

3. The placement.

https://unsplash.com/photos/Ft-wi9aXPAw

As antiquated as it may seem, one of the simple facts that remains is that if you get your ink somewhere visible, you'll likely have to cover it for most jobs and some workplaces may even turn you away from the job you're applying to if you don't. Like I said before, this depends on the size and content of your piece and this may not ALWAYS be the case, but it's definitely food for thought.

4. The artist.

https://unsplash.com/photos/E9q-UPmClVI

This is definitely one of the most important things to consider. The difference between a good and a bad tattoo is the hand of the artist you choose. Sometimes a good idea is simply a good idea and it just doesn't turn out. This is why really researching your artist is key. Make sure they have a portfolio that shows they can incorporate the style you want, and make sure they work in a clean studio with good ratings since it doesn't take much for your skin to get infected. Also, sometimes your skin just rejects the ink, and although this isn't common or always at the fault of the artist, it's a risk that comes with the experience.

5. The cost.

https://unsplash.com/photos/ixqauhAL34o

Like anything else, tattoos cost money. The price is really subjective to the design you choose, but going in you should know it'll cost you a pretty penny. You should know, however, that you're not just paying for the tattoo itself, but the artist (depending on their technique, experience, exposure, popularity and speed) the studio (depending on its popularity, location and exposure) and of course the components of the tattoo (its color, size, design, placement and the materials needed to create it). Keep in mind that your research really comes into play here. Like a good pair of blue jeans, tattoos are not something you should skimp on because unlike most good pairs of blue jeans, they are hard to take off.

6. If you really want it, get it.

https://unsplash.com/photos/5duK901QD2g

All things considered, if you're sure it's what you want, you should get it. Chances are that if you do your research and actually go through with it, it meant enough to you at that moment to get it inked onto you forever, so even if someday you do end up not liking it as much, you still won't "regret" it since it made you happy or meant something to you at that time. At least that's the way I like to look at it.