Why internships are an amazing decision

We All Owe Our First Internship A Huge 'Thank You'

We are darn lucky to be able to have internships.

91
Sarah Richman

This summer, I knew I had to get an internship. I applied to multiple reluctantly not imagining or even appreciating how many possibilities and opportunities there were going to be in these next stages of my life. After getting the internship, I still didn't think much of it. We were told to memorize a 30-page book filled with definitions, after reading some of it I began to become excited.

Background info: I was an intern at a summer program for kids with ADHD and other behavioral disorders.

There was a 3-week training program in which I commuted to the city, my first love. I woke up each morning, made myself lunch and took the train. I felt grown, responsible, in control. I walked the 10 blocks to the city in my work clothes I took the time to think as I walked. I was proud to be working for whom I was working for and I was happy I was there. We had lecturers every day and I learned more than I had ever learned before and I hadn't even applied any of the information yet.

The first actual work day was stressful and I had no idea what I had gotten myself into, but with guidance and with so many people to look up to I worked hard to learn and walk away with everything I could from this experience. I ended up making amazing friends and having a great bond with so many of the kids. I learned that this is truly what I want to do with the rest of my life; I learned that having a role model in your workplace could push you to work even harder than you thought you had in you.

I was really lucky to fall in love with my first internship, and even if I hadn't loved it our first real-world internships our huge parts of our lives. People who were doing exactly what I wanted to do surrounded me.

Maybe your experience was different from mine, you might have realized that what you are doing is definitely not for you. Either way, we are lucky to have these opportunities and explore what is out there.

To the amazing group of people, I got to work with this past summer,

Thank you for making each and every day exciting and fun. Thank you for helping me when I had no idea what to do and thank you for making this summer one of my favorites!