Finstagrams

Finstagrams

A Finsta-what?

25
Finstagrams

Don't worry –– if you're sitting there asking yourself "'WTF is a 'Finstagram'?" you're not the only one. In fact, the majority of Instagram users and active social media users have never heard of this term before, either.

Let me explain. A Finstagram, sometimes called a 'Finsta', is a Fake-Instagram account. An Instagram user will create a second private account with the purpose of posting more personal or uncensored photos, usually under a fake name. The accounts are usually followed by just close friends or people who the user feels secure sharing non-edited, weird or personal pictures with.

Still don't get it? Are you wondering why someone would need more than one Instagram account? Or what a person could possibly post that they would only feel comfortable sharing with a select group of people? Or are you pointing out that the purpose of Instagram-ing photos is to share them with the world?

Well, Finstagrams operate as vein for Instagram users to be more candid with their photos. Instead of worrying about their appearance, the aesthetic of their pages or even the amount of likes that they receive on a photo, the users can share photos to update their friends. Finstagrams will often function as ways to reminisce about funny memories from a long time ago or to relive and inform friends of escapades from the previous night.

If you think about it, it wouldn't make sense to share a blurry photo of say, you sitting in a bathtub at a party, with all of your somewhat random Instagram followers. After all, as Instagram becomes more popular, the variety of people who follow you will continue to grow –– meaning that your mom and your old high school math teacher could be sending you a follower requests real soon.

And while Instagram is a great way to stay connected with these people, sharing your not-so-mature photos or memories with so many people is neither very comfortable nor appealing. I do admit that Finstagrams do add a bit of shadiness to Instagram, but they are also a great form of entertainment and connection. The truth is, Finstagrams probably aren't necessary for everyone. If you aren't posting photos that you don't want exposed to the world or if you aren't working in a place where provocative Instagram photos could land you in some serious trouble, than feel no pressure to Finsta.

A common criticism about Instagram, and social media in general, is that they allow people to fine tune their lives and quite literally brighten their images to make themselves appear happier or more exciting, creating an unattainable standard and an unrealistic perception. Combatting this, the Finstagram gives friends real-life access to their friends, bonding them beyond the (at times) overly edited and calculated posts.

So now that you are informed on what a Finstagram is, you can decide to join the Finstagram World –– or not. The choice is yours.