Final Fever

Final Fever

Tips on how to cool down and de-stress during the madness that is finals week.

8
Final Fever
www.petersons.com

For many college students, finals week is a time of panic, worrying and stress. There never seems to be a way to get past all of the chaos. It feels like the only thing you can do is study until you sleep and hope you pass your exams. That is not the case. There are many things that you can do to help yourself relax and take your mind away from all of the stress.

One of these things, ironically, is to study. Make sure that you are prepared for your exams. I know that is easier said than done, but studying will help you relax when it comes time to actually take your finals. Hopefully, your exam will be a breeze and you will pass with flying colors. Now that we got that out of the way, here are some tips that will actually help you relax.

One thing that always helps me out is finding a study group, whether it's a group of strangers or a group of friends that you share a class with. I prefer studying with a group of strangers; they'll probably keep you more on track than your friends would. (bonus: you can make more friends this way too) Another perk to having a group is that you are able to work with people who feel your pain. Studying in a group is a good way to ensure that you know what is going on as far as your final exams go. If you prefer studying alone, do something that will calm your pre-exam jitters. Put on a face mask while you study, or burn a candle that will relax you and keep you focused.

Don't over work yourself. In my experience, it is the worst thing you can do to yourself. Words start to jumble in your head, you get information mixed up and before you know it, you feel like you are at step one. It's like you have not studied at all when you have spent hours doing so. Take a breather every now and again. Take a step back, relax and do things to get finals off of your brain.

Your campus will be hosting various events to help students take their mind off from the stress of finals week. Go hang out at one of these events, snag some free food and let your mind wander. It'll give you time to chill out and hang with your peers, pet a dog if your campus brings in therapy dogs. It'll be nice to get away from studying for an hour or two.

If all else fails, remember to breathe, drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep. Your body and your mind will thank you for it later, and it will thank you by helping you feel energized and well rested for your finals!