Why Do You Feel Pressured To Get Engaged And Get Married?

The pressure of proposal.

536

You get to that age and point in your relationship with your significant other when others ask, "So, when are you two getting married?" "When are you going to propose?" I am in a relationship that has lasted for three years with my girlfriend and the pressure is getting to me. I'm sure that others feel the same way.

I have noticed that more and more people ask when it is happening. I have been asked the question from some of my family members and even her family members. Both of us have been asked the question from our really good friends. I swear, if I get asked the question again, I might just lose my mind.

I can understand why some people might ask when it is going to happen because school is almost over. We are so close to finishing school and graduating from college. I am graduating this May and she is graduating next year. Most people would think, "OK, he has to be thinking about marriage since he is about to graduate." It makes sense, right?

So, you would think that, after being in a relationship for three years, it should be that time to think about marriage and to propose. You're definitely right. It is definitely on my mind. I have seen couples get married after being together for a year. Some couples have married after only two years. I have also seen couples who were together for almost over five years. I would not wait until after five years, just so that everybody knows.

I know that by 24 years old you should be close to marriage (at least, for most people). Some people have a plan to be married by 25 and to have a family by 30. I'm sorry, but I do not follow this or even have a plan. I will marry when I marry at whatever age and start a family at whatever age. OK, maybe if I live to be in my 80's I would not want to be married if I was in a second marriage or have a baby in my 40's.

This is not a pressure that I am experiencing, but some couples want to get married just so they can have sex. You might have a significant other who is ready to take the relationship to the next level, but you want to wait until marriage. Unfortunately, most couples have already gotten that far before marriage.

Not only could you be pressured to get married because of sex, but you could be pressured by someone who is ready to start a family. That significant other might really want to have a baby, but they want to get married before that can happen. You might have a family member (your mom) who really wants to have grandkids and who cannot wait any longer. I'm not sure how my mom feels, but she should not have to worry about being a grandma just yet.

The pressure might get to you if you have a steady income. You have graduated from college and you have your grown-up job. You are making a decent amount of money. It is that time to propose. I am not this far since I am still in school, but I would like to find a grown-up job before I get married. I think that is a pretty smart move.

The scary part about my age is where my parents were at the time. My parents married young. My mom was 20 and my dad was 21. They had me three years later, so my mom was 23. That scares the crap out of me. I am 24 years old, I am not married, and I do not have a kid. I understand that things were a bit different back then since not everybody went to college, but it's still frightening.

The pressure might get to you if you simply have nothing else to prove in the relationship except marriage. You might be at that point in your relationship where things are good and they cannot get any better except for marriage. In my relationship, I think that we can make it better. It is not at bad thing at all. There are still things that can be better than ever.

I think that, when it comes to deciding when you want to propose, it has to be when you both know that it is that time. You both love each other. You both care about one another. You can see a future with them. You can see yourself marrying this person and starting a family. You will know when the time is right.

The pressure is kicking in for me and I am sure that it is kicking in for other people. I do not think that proposals should be rushed. It has to be the right time and right place in your life for both of you. It has to be a time when things outside are not so complicated and chaotic. I see myself as different from other people. I will honestly tell you that I am not quite ready for marriage just yet (and my girlfriend knows that). Do I see it happening soon? Yes, I do, and I cannot wait for when that moment happens. When that time is right, I will let you know.