Do Yourself A Favor By Scheduling A Cry Into Your Bad Day

I know it sounds a bit strange to essentially be reading "I like to cry," but bear with me here.

280
Gabriela Palai

Bad days: we all know them, we all hate them, and we all have them. It's simply a part of life that everyone goes through. Perhaps one of the worst version of these particular days are when they consist of not one significant event that left you feeling blue, but a series of smaller inconveniences that slowly tear down your optimism over the course of the day.

Maybe you forgot to do an assignment, find yourself repeatedly dropping things, felt lost in a tough lecture, and/or just felt overwhelmed by it all. So what can you do about it? Some people enjoy working out their frustrations through a hearty workout, writing their thoughts out, or perhaps blasting some music that either matches your mood or inspires you to overcome these problems. As for myself, one of my most used methods of tension release is crying.

Alright, I know it sounds a bit strange to read that last sentence considering it's basically me saying "I like to cry," but bear with me here.

In a TIME article titled "The Science of Crying," it suggests some theories about why humans cry is because vulnerability causes us to connect with one another. There is also evidence that backs up this theory that it leaves people feeling better, perhaps not right after they finish crying, but once some time has passed after the fact. The article states, "When [Ad] Vingerhoets and his colleagues showed people a tearjerker and measured their mood 90 minutes later instead of right after the movie, people who had cried were in a better mood than they had been before the film. Once the benefits of crying set in, he explains, it can be an effective way to recover from a strong bout of emotion."

We all know that bottling up our emotions is not the healthiest thing to do when it comes to managing negative thoughts and feelings, so why hold onto it? Crying is a totally normal thing for humans even though it is not always regarded as such in modern society, especially for men who are often criticized for displaying "feminine traits" like showing emotion.

If you know for a fact that crying as a way of relieving tension does not work for you, then feel free to disregard what I'm saying because everyone deals with their emotions differently and that's perfectly OK. However, if you've never tried it, then I thoroughly suggest finding time in your day to just let yourself feel sad. As said by the 1989 cult classic, "Heathers," "If you were happy every day of your life, you wouldn’t be a human. You’d be a game show host.”

Whether you have time for a full-on sob at home or a quick moment to catch your breath in a public bathroom, you may find yourself feeling better (despite a possible after-cry headache and/or eyes feeling fatigued the next day, but hey, you might find these risks are worth it). Please reach out to someone if you need more help, but remember that whatever you're going through will eventually pass and tomorrow is a brand new day.