The Favor App Hasn't Done Any Favors For Me
Technology

I'd rather skip lunch than experience such horrible service again.

129
favor app

My stomach always makes the weirdest, most obnoxious sounds when I'm hungry.

In my rush last week, I didn't have time to make myself a sandwich (and we were out of bread), so I really couldn't do anything to silence my stomach's growls.

I thought about the people I had met who admitted they sometimes forgot to eat. Forgot to eat? I could never accidentally forget to eat!

I thought about how good soup would taste right then because it was a rainy Wednesday.

I thought about how foolish I was for not grabbing at least a snack, because two morning workout classes are sure to make anyone hungry around noon.

But I was tired of thinking. I needed to do something about my hunger!

I took my phone out to text my friends to bring me something on their way back from lunch. But before I could unlock it, I noticed an email from Favor, an app that will deliver food to you from any nearby restaurant.

"All deliveries free in October!" the email announced.

YES! I had found a solution to my growing hunger!

Favor, an app I had ordered from the week before, had been SO worth it! My friend had shared a promotion code with me that allowed me to order a FREE Chick-Fil-A sandwich! Although it took a while to arrive and my delivery guy got lost, how could anyone complain about a FREE sandwich?

Without any hesitation, I ordered a small mac n' cheese from Panera. In my mind, it was the perfect rainy day food, and it was priced at only $4.99.

However, unlike last time, I wasn't allowed to see my order total until my order arrived. Knowing all I had ordered was a $5 mac n' cheese, I quickly hit submit, thus agreeing to pay my unknown order total.

And then, I waited.

And waited.

And waited for another 35 minutes. (Panera is 5 minutes from Baylor)

The app was supposed to let me know when my order had been picked up and when it was on its way, but it took forever for my order to change its delivery status.

Finally, I received a notification that my delivery had arrived. Looking at the receipt, my order total had jumped to $17.89!!!

WHAT?!?!

Favor had factored in a $6 tip and a $6 delivery fee! I quickly googled to find any promotional codes I could find, but ALL of them didn't work, because they were strictly for first-time users.

Thankfully, I noticed I still had some credit from my last order, and I lowered my tip (I'm sorry @ delivery guy), so my total was brought down to $11.59.

Meanwhile, I was still waiting at my desk at work for my order to arrive. Another ten minutes had passed, so I called my delivery guy, because the app showed he was at the right location. He admitted he didn't know his way into the building, so I quickly met him outside the office's side door and thanked him for bringing my order.

Then, I ate my food as slowly as humanly possible so that I could savor the most expensive mac n' cheese I've ever ordered. At the very least, it tasted delicious.

But I knew my problems weren't over.

You see, when I downloaded the app weeks earlier, I had to enter my family's email address because the app didn't recognize mine. The first time I had ordered my free sandwich, my mom forwarded me the emailed receipt and the subject line read "????"

Sure enough, a few hours later, my mom forwarded me my emailed receipt again and asked if I knew what it was from.

Yes Mom, I didn't spend my money too wisely this time. I'll be the first to admit that!

I deleted the app right away.

My advice to you is to take advantage of all first time offers this app promises, but then delete it after your first order. No food delivery service is worth paying three times the amount you spend on the meal itself, waiting over half an hour, and tracking down your delivery guy.

I won't be needing any other Favors anytime soon. :)