To Me, Family Means More Than Just Blood Relation

Through the good, the bad and the ugly, the members in your family are the ones who will help you get through it.

1655

When people hear the word "family," they often connect it to blood relatives. However, I have a different view on family. Of course, my biggest supporters in life have always been my parents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

But my view of family isn’t just defined as my blood relatives.

Nowadays there are many different definitions of the word “family.” Sure, nobody can ever replace your blood relatives. They’ve been there the longest, you’ve made the most memories with them and they know you inside and out. But, who says you can’t expand your family?

When thinking of family, I, of course, think of my supportive parents. I think of my aunts and uncles, who have never missed a holiday, birthday or musical performance. I think of my cousins, who have blessed my life by not only being their wonderful selves, but by bringing their own little bundles of joy into this crazy life. They don’t know how long I’ve wanted to see them be as happy as they are today, and I’m so beyond happy for them and proud for all they’ve done. My grandparents come to my mind as well, and although none of them are physically with me anymore, I know they are here with me in spirit each day. I couldn’t possibly put into words how thankful I am for each and every one of them.

However, I don’t just consider my immediate family because even though they are the ones who pop in my head first, my family goes beyond just them. I think of my mom's high school best friend, who I’ve referred to as my aunt my whole life.

I think of my own best friend, who I feel like I’ve known my entire life, even though it’s only been a couple of years. I think of my dad's close friends, but more specifically, his friend who was with me and my father every day from the time I was born to age 13. They are family too, and I’ll never deny that.

The point is, the people who you call family should consist of the people who are always there for you through whatever you do in life. It doesn’t matter if those are people you’ve known your entire life or just met a year ago. Family should be the people who know you better than anyone else, who want the best for you no matter what and the people you envision yourself making a million memories with that you’ll treasure forever.

Generally speaking, family is the closest and most important thing in anyone’s life. Whether your idea of family extends like mine or remains your immediate family, all I hope for those of you reading this is that your family consists of the best people in your life.

Through the good, the bad and the ugly, the members of your family are the ones who will help you get through it. Everyone wants the people who they call family to be the best people in their lives. Lucky for me, I’ve got just that.