12 Thoughts All College Students Have Before Fall Semester

Woohoo, Target shopping spree!

256
Marika Cygert

I think I can speak for most college students when I say that although we are nervous to go back to school, we are excited to see what the year and future holds for us. As much as I want to stay home and make the rest of the year a summer vacation, I'm excited to start my sophomore year, make new friends, learn new things, and experience things that I haven't before. And because I have mixed feelings about going back to school in just a few weeks, here are a few thoughts that all college students have before fall semester starts!

1. "Where did the summer go?"

It seems like just a few weeks ago I was finishing up my spring semester of freshman year, and now I'm making lists of what I need for my sophomore year of college! I already miss the beach days, trips to amusement parks, exploring the city, and having lunch with great friends! And although I'm excited to start my second year, I wonder where the summer went. Time sure does fly by when you're having fun!

2. "I wonder what my roommates will be like."

During my first year of college, my roommate and I didn't quite see eye to eye, but even so, the experience was still worthwhile! My living experience is going to be much different this year because I'll be having seven roommates, rather than one! The more the merrier, right? I sure do hope so. I wonder if my roommates like the same music I do or if they like to eat out at the same places as me or if they're clean freaks like myself. I can't wait to find out!

3. "Okay, so how late can I stay up and still make it to class on time this semester?"

Throwback to the one time I woke up at 7:55 a.m. and still made it to my 8:00 a.m. class in my pajamas, stinky morning breath, and messy hair! And although my teacher laughed it off, not all professors are like him! So I just need to figure out how many hours of sleep I'll need this semester to roll out of bed on time!

4."Woohoo, Target shopping spree!"

Shopping sprees are always a good thing...except when you don't have the money to buy everything you want! Target has to be one of my favorite stores, but shopping for college is so much more stressful when you're trying to figure out everything you need for the year! Especially when you're living in a house with seven other girls and you keep thinking of more things everyone might need!

5. "I guess I'm back to having coffee for breakfast, lunch, and dinner again."

Almost every college student is a machine running on coffee, coffee, and more coffee! Coffee is the greatest gift to give someone who stays up writing those eight-page essays, completing projects, and planning out the rest of their week! Before I left for college, I drank coffee with my breakfast; now I drink it with almost every meal I eat!

6. Seeing your friends again after three months seems like the best thing possible!

One of the best things about going back to college is seeing the friends you made your freshmen year and meeting new people! Whether it be through clubs, classes, or eating at the dining hall, it's great making new friends and building on potentially life-long friendships! So embrace the moment you reunite with the people that made your freshmen year memorable and those who can make your sophomore year even better!

7. Yet you don't want to leave behind what you have at home.

As exciting as it is to see your friends and start your second year of college, it sucks to leave your friends from home and, in my case, boyfriend behind. It feels like the summer wasn't enough time to split between your family and friends, and saying, "See you later" to them isn't the ideal situation! If only you could be at home and at college at the same time, but sometimes distance isn't all that bad!

8. And the college expenses aren't letting you forget about how much of a broke college student you are!

Whenever I hear the phrase, "broke college student," I think to myself, Story of my life. College tuition and housing are already so expensive, but on top of that, we have to pay for books that are super pricey. I don't understand why a used Psychology book costs $80.00 to rent! So try to order your textbooks on cheaper websites like Chegg and compare the prices!

9. "I'm definitely going to get more involved this year." *Puts name on every club/activity list*

There aren't enough hours in the day to do everything you want! Scheduling your time and setting your priorities straight is really important, but it's also important to have fun and find some activities that really interest you! This semester I'm hoping to join Dance Ensemble and Yoga to relieve some of that college stress!

10. "First week of classes is syllabus week, so at least I can ease myself into this whole 'school thing.'"

I think about starting my second year of college and I feel like I've forgotten what it's like to be at school! I don't know if I can do the whole "school thing" again! I mean, of course I can, but am I ready? Maybe syllabus week can ease me into the load of assignments and hours of studying that are ahead of me!

11. "I wonder how I'll balance studying, class, work, activities, and going out this year! I guess sleep is for the weak!"

The art of being a college student is learning how to balance everything you need to do and still being able to go out and have fun! But sometimes, learning how to prioritize can be hard--much harder than you think! For example: You have a paper due tomorrow morning but it's your best friend's birthday today and all your friends are going out tonight. You don't want to miss the party, but you also need to turn your paper in the next morning--what do you do?

12. College move-in day never gets less annoying! But your roommates/friends can make it better!

Thinking about move-in day is already stressing me out! Making sure that I have everything I need for the year is too much of a responsibility! Packing and moving all of my stuff in and out of rooms and into a car is just so much work! But at least I have some people helping me, right?

College is right around the corner and these thoughts couldn't be more true to most of us! And even so, I can't wait to see what the future holds! I'll be back at Marist College in just a few weeks and a bunch of different feelings are flowing around in my brain. But I'm so happy to be part of the Red Fox family!