No, Failing A Class Is Not The End Of The World

Life goes on after you fail a class.

114

I failed a class in my freshman year, and I'm still alive.

For many of us, failure is unspeakable – we're taught from a very early age to be ashamed of it. In elementary and middle school, failing grades mean that we need a tutor. In high school, they mean summer classes. In college, we tend to view them as an end-of-the-world scenario.

Unfortunately, it's easy to judge people who fail. "They must not have worked hard," we think. Or we might say, "I just don't understand how someone's grades can get so low!" But I'll bet you ten bucks that you know someone who has failed a class in undergrad, whether it's a friend, an acquaintance, a family member, or even a professor.

Failure is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm not ashamed to admit that I failed a class during a time of severe emotional distress – the social pressures of college became too much for me, and I broke down more than once. There came a point when I couldn't focus on anything else. That may sound dramatic, but it's true; I was ill-equipped to deal with the painful, upsetting situations I encountered in my relationships with others, and this was reflected in my schoolwork.

However, I would argue that there was value in that failure. I learned how to pick myself back up. I learned to map out my classes to raise my GPA, create a study system that worked for me, and meet more frequently with my professors and advisor. My failure motivated me to finally declare my major so that I could get back on track as soon as possible. I forced myself to get more involved on campus and participate more in class. Most importantly, I learned to neverlet other people, situations, or emotions get in the way of my academic success.

Going forward, I am confident that I know how to study. I know how to manage my mental health, and I will never judge someone for their GPA. I'm able to be a humble, more helpful person because I understand that failure does not always come from a place of laziness – sometimes, it is the unfortunate product of one's circumstances.

If you have failed a class, you're not alone, and your life is not over. You can take some steps right now to feel better and get back on track. Ask yourself what you've learned since failing this particular class. When applying for grad schools, internships, and other positions, you may be given an opportunity to discuss the F(s) on your transcript. Interviewers don't want to hear excuses for your grades – they want to know what you've done to make up for them. So tell them! Let them know how much you've learned and how you can apply yourself moving forward. You can also meet with your advisor to figure out if there are any courses you can retake. Similarly, consider summer and winter courses (if financially feasible). They can be a great way to raise your GPA, and on your transcript, they are extra proof that you have gone above and beyond. In addition, it may be a good idea to flesh out your resume with leadership positions. Most importantly, don't feel bad. Your life is not over, and there are so many people who have bounced back from this and gone on to do incredible things. The last thing you want to do right now is to give up.

Instead of thinking of failure as a disaster, think of it as a transformative experience. Acknowledge that your grade(s) will change some things in your life, but that you'll be a stronger individual in the end, and nothing can truly prevent you from pursuing your interests and career if you are dedicated.