Talking To Faculty At Your Institution Is The Foundation To Networking

The importance of connecting with the staff members of your institutions or your next bosses in the workplace.

26
https://unsplash.com/photos/N23rmTcf0NA?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText

Everyone I have ever talked to has felt the same way, talking to professors at your campus is scary. This commonality really shouldn't exist, we shouldn't be so afraid of the individuals that are here to make us better professionals. I was able to break this barrier when I entered into a Living Learning Program, in this program we are connected to a Faculty member who lives in the same hall. The successes to connect with faculty from this model I see is very successful, students that are in these assorted programs have an easier time connecting with Professors and the institution's faculty.

If you aren't in a program like this, you shouldn't feel like you cannot connect with faculty. These individuals are there for you to help you and assist you to be successful in whatever you will pursue. Connecting with some of these faculty can help you gain some unique and great opportunities whether that be internships or lab positions. These faculty members are always able to help and you really shouldn't be afraid to reach out to them.

The opportunities that are provided through these networks are unimaginable. Having networks in your undergrad is so very important to your college career. These individuals could be the ones providing you with rich recommendation letters that get you that scholarship or internship. Networks like these are the ones that will expand your horizons and help you grow as an undergrad as well as offer you better relationships and more fulfillment in your career.

I was able to connect with several different professors because of one that I knew fairly well who connected me with several other professors and labs across campus that fit what I wanted to accomplish with my degree. These people are essential for your career if you are having troubles finding suitable times to approach these professors good times are everywhere. You can attend their offices hours and build that relationship, you can also do something as simple as emailing them. These tiny moments are essential to building up these relationships, saying Hello or asking how their day is during class are also tiny ways to approach these individuals.

Several students are afraid to connect with the faculty on campus, but these people are not here to scare you away. They are here for your success, reach out to them and be respectful and all will go well. The next time you need help, ask that professor or staff member for the help you need.