How To Face Your Fears

So you have dreams of making it big in this world… The thought of becoming successful excites your drive to learn and motivates you to envision the future. You yearn for the day that you will finally build up the courage to take that first step toward achieving your goals, but you consistently drop the ball when opportunities present themselves. "The timing isn't right." "I'm not capable." "What if I fail?" These excuses are all too common and someday, you will realize that these empty statements are what separate those who thrive from those who continue to strive. Don't become the latter. Flip off your fears and "pursue what sets your soul on fire."

Don't let the status quo people try to put down your dreams.

Worrying about the opinions of others is wasted energy. Instead of thinking about how your message or idea will be judged by other people, transform this anxiety into productivity. When your mind starts to race down the toxic path of "what if", shift your perspective. For every person that enters your mind and makes you doubt your decisions, force yourself to come up with one positive thought that will help you to move forward with your goals. If the people that make you think twice about taking that next step won't matter to you in five years, then don't let them matter to you right now either. "Don't let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out!" – Robert Tew.

Wholeheartedly embrace who you are and what you are capable of.

Stop contemplating your self-worth. In order to get past the fear of "not being good enough", recognize all that you have accomplished and reflect on how far you have come. Don't underestimate your achievements toward small goals – everything you have ever done up to this moment in time has value and will make a difference in your long-term plans. Find out what distinguishes you as an individual, embrace it, and use it to your advantage. Remember that the cream always rises to the top. If you believe that you are capable of excellence, your efforts will manifest as so.

Go for it as soon as the opportunity arises – don't allow negative thoughts to make you think twice.

To the people who have a tendency to overthink everything, employ this strategy. If you see that a club you're interested in on campus is looking for new members, apply to join right away. By putting off your decision, you allow your fears to infiltrate your thinking by coming up with reasons for not joining. When positive opportunities present themselves, don't hesitate to take advantage of them. The less time you give yourself to scrutinize over every insignificant detail, the more easily you will commit to pursuing what you are passionate about. Once you are obligated to the decision you made, it will be harder for your fears to get in the way of your goals.