Speaking As An Extroverted Introvert, This Is What You Should Know

Not too shy, not too outgoing-- just the perfect balance.

59
Speaking As An Extroverted Introvert,  This Is What You Should Know

I am an extroverted introvert -- or according to a quick Google search, an ambivert. In layman terms, I fall smack in the middle of the introvert-extrovert spectrum.

A few weeks ago, my Astronomy professor had us do group evaluations where each person in our group would evaluate our participation and how we interact with others. This is what I got:

"I would like Denice to talk more when we discuss the concepts."
-Student A

"I wish Denice would speak up more because she seems to have a grasp on the information and could be more helpful to the group."
-Student B

"I would ask her not to be afraid to speak up." - Student C

Most people would assume I am an introvert because I am quiet most of the time. That doesn't mean I am not extroverted when needed. There's a term which I believe fits this situation perfectly: Situational Introversion. Essentially, it means I lean more towards introversion or extroversion depending on the environment, who is around or just the whole situation.

There's a few things you should know about any extroverted introvert:

We do things on our own.

Trust me when I say it's not you, it's us. Sometimes we need alone time. We have to deal with more than enough social situations, especially in college. Getting alone time is perhaps the most beautiful thing for us.

More often than not we are accused of having RBF.

Again, environment plays a big factor. If we've been out and about with friends and just want to go home, RBF is what you'll encounter. It already takes enough energy deciding to socialize with friends, let alone strangers.

If needed, we're great when it comes to socializing.

We're great at meeting friends and families. Yes, small talk is a pain at times, but when it does happen, we tend to ask all the questions because no one enjoys awkward silence.

Being an extroverted introvert is the best of both worlds; the perfect balance. It's like sweet and salty popcorn. Yes, we do like being alone, but it doesn't mean we're lonely. We have a group of friends who deal with us and understand the struggle of being an extroverted introvert.

Are you an ambivert?