Rick Riordan: One Of The Best Young Adult Authors

"I come to writing the same way I come to teaching, which is that my goal is always to create life-long readers," --Rick Riordan

136
https://anastasiaadamov.wordpress.com/tag/rick-riordan/

The moment you pick up a book and begin to read, you are transported into an entirely new world. The words float off the page and encapsulate you into a safe and relaxing space to let loose and explore all there is to know about the book you are reading. If the book is powerful enough, it may even make you forget about reality and loose all recollection of time and space.

But not all books are quite as powerful as others. This is all dependent on the author and how skilled they are in creating rich, diverse characters and creative new worlds. One author that stands out from the rest—in my opinion—and has always created magical new worlds and relatable characters is Rick Riordan.

Many people may have heard of him or have at least seen the two (horrendous) movies made about his most well-known character, Percy Jackson. Rick Riordan’s popular book series include: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Heroes of Olympus, The Kane Chronicles, and his most recent installments Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard and The Trials of Apollo. All of these books revolve around re-creating or interpreting world mythologies as they relate to modern times. Each one is inspired by a new mythology that Riordan is able to bring to life in an exciting yet informative way.

I started reading The Lightning Thief when I was in sixth grade. We were learning about Greek Mythology and my teacher felt that the book was a good fit. I did not quite like reading at the time. I loved the idea of reading but I could never fully immerse myself in one, until that book. There was something about the relatable nature of Percy and the act of storytelling that completely hooked me in. After years of reading his books I have found that there is so much more to the books that I first thought.

Not only does Riordan create amazing story lines, integrate fascinating mythology, generate rich characters, and write in an easy-to-read writing style, but his most powerful tool is being able to create characters that you can truly connect with and have such relatable life and problems that it mirrors our own. Although his books are ripe with fantasy and worlds of magic, his characters are the most memorable aspects of the books. His characters embody real life problems and everyday struggles that you or I go through on a daily basis. They remain very human and modest although thrust into a magical new world.

For example, Percy’s mom is a single mother raising him in New York and is stuck in a dead end job while dating a scummy guy. Now it does not stay that way—her situation gets better I promise—but it’s very real. Not only that, but Percy has ADHD, is Dyslexic, and manages to get kicked out of every school he goes to. He is labeled as “troubled." Come to find out all Demigod’s have ADHD and Dyslexia; something that seems like a hinderance becomes their greatest strength. That’s one of the things that makes Rick Riordan such a powerful writer, he is able to turn things most people look at as weaknesses into something truly unique and amazing.

In his most recent series, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, his character Alex, is gender-fluid. When I learned this I just thought “Rick you've done it again” and my heart swelled with pride as my favorite author continually blows my mind with lovable and inspiring characters. Alex remains one of the best, funniest, and most powerful characters Riordan has created and I love that he continually encompasses all walks of life into his books. It is rare that you find an author that is able to do this so effortlessly.

Now these are just two examples, but if you read his books you can find almost every kind of person under the sun taken into account in his tales. His books may be labeled as Young Adult or Children’s Books, but they are for any age group. I’m 20 years old now and I will always go out and buy his latest book because I know I will never be disappointed.

One of the biggest messages that I feel he sends through is characters and his stories is that you should be proud of who you are and embrace what makes you different because it is your biggest strength.