Your Expectations May Fail, But Your Future Is To Be Determined

Your Expectations May Fail, But Your Future Is To Be Determined

Expectations are the mask we must remove in order to see our true capabilities.

176

Everyone always has a set of expectations for their own life. Whether those expectations involve big decisions, like attending college, studying one major over another or chasing after a certain career, or small decisions like what to cook for dinner, expectations spiral around us like the clouds of a tornado without us even realizing it. As common as it is for people to have this image in their head of what their life is supposed to play out like, it's not as common to recognize that these goals are almost never achieved as planned. It's time to start giving ourselves some credit, people!

Just because things don't always go according to plan, it does not mean that you are incapable of getting to where you want to be.

I don't know a single person who has successfully reached a goal without a single bump in the road. As Bender would say in The Breakfast Club, "the world is an imperfect place." You will never become who you want to be or get to where you want to go without obstacles and the truth is if you didn't have to work for it, then is it really an accomplishment?

9 out of 10 times, your expectations are going to fall short and you're going to be forced to either give up or follow through with a plan B, maybe even a Plan C, D or E. But I'm here to tell you today to actually go through with those backup plans and continue trying. Don't give up when things don't go your way and don't be discouraged at the face of failure. In fact, failure is one step closer to success. It's the acknowledgment of your mistakes and the door that is left cracked open for you to curiously venture into the room of opportunity.

When you're in the doorframe to the room of opportunity, go inside. Explore your options. See what all is out there because I can guarantee that there are more opportunities than you expect. I know that you have a vision of how things are supposed to be, but imagine how much better it could be if you let yourself experience things you may have never imagined would fit into your life. After all, you'll never know if you like something until you try it. You may go into school thinking you will leave as a nurse and, instead, graduate with a degree in communications. Things change, and that is okay.

Allow me to be your living, breathing example. I came into college with an expectation for myself. Transitioning into my second semester of junior year, I've hit a dead end on the road of expectations. It's time to either reroute or stay parked with nowhere to go. Now let me ask you, would you stay stranded or drive?

Of course, the common answer is to drive, which most people are scared to do when it comes to their own life decisions. However, if I were to give up, all of the hard work and passion I have put into my future would go to waste. It's time to pull out more options because where I want to be is still obtainable. Change is never ideal, but face it, we all have to go through unexpected changes, whether we like it or not.

As for me, I'm going to be just fine. I'm not giving up or talking myself down just because my plan fell short and my expectations were misled. Instead, I'm pushing the door that's cracked open and taking a peek at all of the opportunities I didn't know existed when I formulated the detailed expectations of my journey. You can allow yourself to get lost or you can be rerouted.

Believe me, I know that change is scary. I know that the pill of rejection is hard to swallow. I know that sometimes the shelf is just a little too high, even if you're on your tippy toes. But believe me, with a little water and maybe a step stool, you can do it. You can overcome the obstacles and you can fight change with more change. You will always have to fight for the things you are passionate about. Trust me the drive is in there, even when it's scary to push down on the gas pedal. Don't give up. Keep looking forward. You can get there, and you will. Be brave and allow your expectations to be challenged.

The only thing standing in your way is you.