Why Do We Not Handwrite Things Anymore?!
Lifestyles

“Everything MUST BE TYPED!” (A.K.A. The “Heinous Act” of Handwriting)

Typing is very efficient, I'll give you that, but good lord if I don't get tired of it...

73
Anne Trubek

It's times like this when I am typing up a 200-page script when I think to myself "I'm going to get goddamn carpal tunnel before the age of 22, I swear to freakin' god--"

Over the years, I've become incredibly adept at using my computer for extended periods of time without much fuss (I mean, I've worn through quite a few of the keys on my keyboard at this point, so to say that my laptop usage is limited would be a gross understatement). There does come a time at the end of every day, however, where I despise Christopher Latham Sholes and everything he stood for. Yes, as someone who spends a lot of time writing, editing, and re-editing, I find that I can write far more efficiently with the use of a keyboard and a screen. With that being said, I love handwriting in certain aspects of my life (a thank you note, grocery lists, passive-aggressive notes I can slip under doorways--), and I do miss that feeling you get when you look over page upon page of a handwritten journal.

Taking pen to paper has, unfortunately, become a bit of a lost art. It's possible that my generation was one of the last to be taught cursive, and that's mind-boggling. Rather than having it be a part of our daily lives, we tend to admire calligraphy and perfect penmanship through "Most Satisfying" videos and pictures on Facebook. That combined with the emergence of the "Bullet Journaling" fad has sort of destroyed the potential of a return to handwriting and damned us all to having slightly numb fingers that shoot electrical tingles and pain to our shoulders.

Yes, I'm still worried about the carpal tunnel thing. Getting something done efficiently means nothing if you won't be able to do it at all later in life, and excuse me if I'd like to be able to tie my shoes without throwing myself headfirst into my closet with the hopes of rendering myself unconscious on a rogue upturned heel.

From what I can tell, it's possible that it isn't the only efficiency that has slowly converted everyone from 'handwriting' to 'typewriting,' but also a want to guard secrets about themselves. This is a bit of a bold statement, I know, but allow me to explain.

It's been mentioned a few times in some crime shows, but graphology is a pseudo-science that involves the study of handwriting, specifically what it can expose about someone's personality including their past experiences and future intentions. For example, the size of your penmanship can indicate your extroversion, meticulousness, and potential plans to withdraw from society, while the location of your lowercase 'i' dot can indicate procrastination, detail orientation, or childishness.

Palm-reading, I'm gonna have to ask you to step aside so we can invite graphology center-stage.

Because this analyzation method has become a bit more mainstream and allowed everyone to become a pseudo-graphologist, it's more than reasonable that the exposition of one's handwriting has become more personal and rare. I mean, in a world where a crazy bottom half of a lowercase 'g' can mean you're a bit experimental in the bedroom...well...I think trying to research one's own handwriting could actually reveal some hidden aspects of ourselves that we've been avoiding.

So, I'm going to set forth this challenge for you all: write a small blurb on a sheet of paper, let's say advice from the Cleveland Clinic on how to prevent carpal tunnel: "Because of its many causes, carpal tunnel syndrome is difficult to prevent. Workstation changes, such as proper lighting and seating and hand/wrist placement, can help decrease some factors that can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome."

Now, do some graphology research of your own to see your results. Are you nice? Secretive? Open-minded? ...Kinky? (No, really, that is a criteria you can identify.)

In all seriousness, it's a bit of a shame that so few of us take the time to write on a sheet of paper rather than in the Notes App on our phones. Yeah, it might not be as convenient. Yeah, it might not be as efficient. Yeah, you might be potentially exposing some random secret about yourself through an unverified pseudo-science, but do we all where gloves to hide our palms whenever someone slightly mystical walks by? Probably not, so get out there, buy a beautiful pen and notebook, and write your grocery list down there (you won't regret it).

Phew -- that was a welcome temporary distraction from Final Draft 9, but if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to re-editing the same three pages for the next couple hours and definitely not researching symptoms of carpal tunnel or purchasing ergonomic mouse pads on Amazon.

God help me.

Related Articles Around the Web