Everybody's Everything: Documentary Review

A week or two ago I finally got to watch the Everybody's Everything documentary (which I might add that I had been waiting months to see). If you're unfamiliar with this documentary, it's a film that follows the life and career of the late underground goth rapper Lil Peep. Now I understand that not everyone is super into this subculture of underground rap and gothic music but even setting aside the fact that I love Lil Peep, from a film aspect, this is a masterpiece. Don't believe me? Ask Rotten Tomatoes who gave this film a rating of 100% and an audience score of 99%.

The Story is structured around letters that Peep's grandfather had written to him while he was growing up. His mom being the main story teller, we see the side of Gustav (Peep) that we never have before. We see footage from his childhood, pictures of him growing up, and some fantastic interviews.

These interviews really make the film something incredible. There are interviews from his childhood best friends, family members, girlfriends, and even current rappers. Every one of them has a story to tell about Gus that will truly make you fall in love with him.

As we keep watching we see his rise to fame, his struggles, insecurities, and the dark side of being a public figure. It's both exhilarating and heartbreaking at the same time. You see an inside look into the lifestyle of a "rockstar" as Peep often referred to himself as.

The end of the film is very sad, as we begin to look into the true mystery of his death and all the factors that played into it. We see the tragic end to someone who truly changed music and the way we look at celebrities and young adults who suddenly become famous. As heartbreaking as it is, it leaves us with a new perspective and new ideas.

Truly this film was amazing, from the structure, to the interviews, to even the way it was shot and edited. I think regardless of if you're a fan Lil Peep or not, you should watch this film because I promise you, you'll leave with so many emotions and a new view of life.