Eugenia Cooney Doesn't Owe You Anything

Eugenia Cooney Doesn't Owe You Anything

Having a public platform means it is difficult to have privacy.

10486
Eugenia Cooney Doesn't Owe You Anything
Eugenia Cooney / Twitter

If you are suffering from an eating disorder, the following are useful links that offer support, helplines and resources.

Crisis Call Center: 1 (800) 273-8255 or text ANSWER to 839863

National Eating Disorder Association Helpline: 1 (800) 931-2237.

National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders Helpline: (630) 577-1330

HopeLine: Call or text (919) 231-4525 or 1 (877) 235-4525

If you're familiar with the most controversial faces of YouTube, you might have heard of Eugenia Cooney already. This 23-year-old quickly gained a following on her channel and just a few years later, she has already accumulated over a million subscribers.

But is it all for the wrong reasons?

Her content consists of light-hearted lifestyle videos, try-on fashion hauls and even a few tutorials and challenges here and there. However, her weight has constantly been under relentless scrutiny.

She receives thousands of comments regarding her thinness on all her social media platforms. Her videos on flooded with concerned subscribers begging her to seek help. I was, at one point, defending her with words for affirmations and reassurance, claiming that even though this is a public platform, anything regarding her health was a private matter.

But now, more than ever, it is clear that her health is declining and her life is in danger. You might think I am exaggerating but see for yourself here.

I'm not sugar-coating anything.

I constantly check up on her every now and then to see if she's even alive. Ever since she moved out into the world on her own and away from her mother's care, Eugenia has now been reduced to skin and bones. I don't say this to be harsh. I'm merely stating the truth.

She shouldn't have to censor herself but as much as I want to believe that she's just "naturally skinny," as she claims, it couldn't be farther from the truth. Is it any of my business?

Probably not. Eugenia will continue to live the life she chooses, but that does not mean I can't have an opinion on it.

Spare her feelings or spare her life?

But bullying her into submission is hardly effective. She might not admit to her eating disorder, but she doesn't owe us that. But that doesn't mean she's off the hook, either.

The internet nor her audience holds the responsibility of intervening with her current lifestyle, but the fact of the matter is I much rather say my piece instead of allowing this to continue so that she could die prematurely.

My main concern is her circle of family and friends.

They have constantly made appearances through her channel and other social media platforms. As much as I want to trust that they're putting forth their best effort to help her, I haven't seen any progress throughout these years. Ultimately, the only thing we can do is hope for the best.

The first step is admitting you have a problem and nobody can force Eugenia into it because it is ultimately her life. All I'm saying is, it's evident she doesn't have much time left and it is truly upsetting.