How You Enter A Room Matters

How You Enter A Room Matters

"The way you enter a room matters for you only have one chance to make a first impression"

72
How You Enter A Room Matters
https://unsplash.com/photos/D-lCIL_2fag

Sometimes we forget how important first impressions are. When you meet someone for the first time, you unconsciously make assumptions or judgments about who they are. Although it may sound intimidating, you face judgment from others the second you enter a room, whether they mean to judge you or not. If you are entering a room full of people you wish to impress, such as peers, co-workers, or superiors, how you enter that room matters.

The beauty of first impressions is that you control a large part of how others see you. When you enter a room with confidence and authority, you show others that you believe in yourself. You show the people in the room that you belong there and are unafraid to be yourself. When we enter a room with anxiety and fear, we are telling others that we do not feel as though we belong. Luckily, we have control over our body language and mindset and can determine how we enter any room.

If you are feeling anxiety about entering a room full of strangers, there are simple steps to follow that can boost your confidence immensely. The first thing to do before entering a room is to be confident in your outward appearance. Oftentimes we forget how great of an impact the way we dress and present ourselves has on our overall confidence. When you dress well and stay true to your unique style, you automatically boost your self-confidence. The next step is to practice power poses before entering a room. By changing your body language, you reset your mindset from one of anxiety and fear to one of purpose and clear intent.

The next step may sound unnecessary, but for many people, it is important to frame your mindset before entering a room. By this, I mean practicing positive self-talk. You can easily boost your confidence by repeating positive phrases to yourself. Before entering a room, think of a few things you love about yourself and a few things you are grateful for. This will place you in a positive, self-assured mindset. Practicing positive self-talk helps you ward off negative thoughts and feelings of anxiousness. A large sum of our fears come from scenarios we create in our mind. Once you reframe your thinking, you realize that these fears have no real substance.

In order to enter a room with confidence, you must have a clearly defined purpose of what you wish to achieve. Maybe you wish to speak with one of your superiors or simply build a relationship with a coworker. Whatever the case, it is helpful to plan out what you wish to accomplish before entering a room. Having a clearly defined plan will ease your anxiety and help build a positive mindset.

The way you enter a room matters for you only have one chance to make a first impression. Although you cannot control how others perceive you, you can control your body language and mindset. By entering a room with purpose and confidence, you tell those around you that you are aware of your worth and fully capable of achieving the goals you set for yourself.