Who Am I?: The Enneagram

Who Am I?: The Enneagram

My latest personality test obsession: The Enneagram.

114
Who Am I?: The Enneagram
Sarah Pfile

Hello, my name is Sarah and I'm addicted to personality tests. (I'm also a psychology major so are you really surprised?) Because of my addiction, when my roommates told me about the enneagram test, I got too excited. The Enneagram test is a subtle and complex nine-point personality test that's all about why you are how you are. There are nine different "types" you can be. They're all assigned numbers 1-9. In my experience, this is my favorite scale/test I've found so far. When I found out my number, there were tears and all that.

To explain it better, I'll use myself as an example. My Enneagram number is 2. This number is sometimes referred to as The Helper. In a few words, my type is described as giving, caring, possessive, and people-pleasing. When you find out your result, go to The Enneagram Institute website and learn more. There's a whole page describing each type so you can learn more. Each type has a basic fear and a basic desire that, if you're that type, really hits home. Once you know your number and you read your basic fear and basic desire, if you don't feel really exposed than it's not you. My fear is of being unwanted or unworthy of being loved. Oof, right?

Basically, that means I'm a sad, emotional teenage boy hiding from the world but all he really wants is to be loved.

Love that for me.

I found this podcast called Sleeping at Last that explained my type a little more. The man behind it is a singer-songwriter, Ryan O'Neal. He's crazy talented and has made a mission of his to write a song from the perspectives of each type. He doesn't just write the songs, he does extensive background research about each type and compiles the perfect melody, words, and instruments. His approach is truly amazing. His mission is to write a song of redemption and self-realization for each type. Yes, I did cry all the way through mine. I love his dedication and his respectful approach toward every song and type. I highly recommend taking this test just to listen to your episode of his podcast. It was an amazing experience.

If you've read this far, google "the enneagram test" and find your number. It's such an amazing and spooky experience to see how they know everything about you just by one number. Then, I highly recommend you go check our Ryan's podcast, Sleeping at Last. It's available on SoundCloud. Happy self-realization!