10 Empowerment Anthems

10 Empowerment Anthems

My comprehensive playlist that leaves my heart racing because it hits so close to home.

180
10 Empowerment Anthems
https://pixabay.com/en/dark-dj-turntable-hand-music-1850120/

It's no secret that Ariana Grande's "thank u, next" was a hit, but there are still countless songs of all genres that deserve just as much hype. The word "empowerment" means different things to different people. Personally, I see the secret to an empowerment anthem as a song that invokes some type of relatable emotion— whether it's anger after betrayal, craving growth/change, or feeling good in your own body, this playlist will have you feeling "some typa way."

1. "After Midnight" - Sam Creighton

This song seems to describe college one-night-stands perfectly. Young adults seem to have this fear of real emotion and comittment, to the point where all physical relationships tend to feel stunted at, well, just that. Only physical...

"I did it again, my loneliness took over me

It was wrong, I went along, 'cause boy I'm weak

And I've got nothing left to say

Or any reason left to stay

We're lying here but this doesn't feel like company"

2. "Lines" - Bulow

As fun as dating apps are, the simple need for validation online can expose infidelity. This song is about the relatable conflict of an unfaithful relationship, where lines are constantly being crossed— hence the name of the song. The beat derives from pure emotion and has a sneaky yet catchy element to it, embodying what it feels like to discover someone being unfaithful...

"My girl was swiping through

Funny how she came across you

So she swiped right on you

Didn't think you'd swipe right too"

3. "Grow" - Conan Gray

It seems as though I discovered this song in perfect timing for the new year! Conan Gray is only 19, and a fellow college student studying at UCLA. A softspoken yet talented songwriter, producer, and editor, he is a selfmade artist that began on Youtube. He is also part of the LGBTQ+ community and hopes to open the worldwide conversation about human rights. This song replicates the feelings of rebirth that come along with January...

"See it all unfold

An emerald life before me

Yeah I think I'm ready for

Running on concrete

Electricity"

4. "Be Careful" - Cardi B

Anyone who's been heartbroken can recognize the feeling of fragility that comes along with the healing process. This doesn't have to pertain to a relationship; heartbreak comes from other forms of loss, or even illness. Cardi's music always makes me feel powerful, like the true girl boss I know I am. She sings...

"Yeah, my heart is like a package with a fragile label on it

Be careful with me

Care for me, care for me

Always said that you'd be there for me, there for me"

5. "Honestly" - Gabbie Hanna

Gabbie Hanna seems to be the source of all Youtube controversy lately, and honestly (no pun intended), I'm not sure why. People claim that she has no real vocal training and "can't handle the fame," but I disagree. She sings from the heart and her vocals prove that without a doubt. In this song, she belts about how it feels to be lied to, sometimes even straight to your face...

"White lies, but they're getting dark

Blurred lines, but they're getting clearer

Just tell the truth, hey, it's not that hard

You call me crazy, so am I crazy?

Your words don't hold any weight

I can't seem to get a straight answer

Don't trust you, but who's to blame?

I think you're crazy, but am I crazy?"

6. "Mine" - Bazzi

Despite that this song was a meme in early 2017, it is truly beautiful. Bazzi started on Vine and gained popularity from his raw, clear voice. Because his voice is so powerful, it feels like he is personally singing to you. This song is about making someone feel appreciated, loved, and validated— a feeling that as humans, we all crave...

"Hands on your body, I don't wanna waste no time

Feels like forever even if forever's tonight

Just lay with me, waste this night away with me

You're mine, I can't look away, I just gotta say"

7. "Do Re Mi" - Blackbear

This is one of my favorite songs to blast in the car with my windows down and sing to any person who's ever hurt me. Blackbear writes the type of heartwrenching yet catchy music that make you mad at the people you forgave all over again...

"Yeah, if I could go back to the day we met

I probably would just stay in bed

You run your mouth all over town

And this one goes out to the sound

Of breaking glass on my Range Rover"

8. "Q.U.E.E.N." - Janelle Monae, Erykah Badu

I have to credit the GW Sirens for introducing me to this song— it's one of our inclusive feminist anthems. Janelle Monae actually named the song as an acronymn, using the words Queer, Untouchables, Emigrants, Excommunicated, and Negroids. The sassy beat is structured like a call and response, where each line expresses Monae's thoughts on controversial subjects like stereotypes of the LGBTQ+ community, certain races, and religion, and the concept of fitting into an unwelcoming society...

"They call us dirty cause we break all your rules down

And we just came to act a fool, is that all right? (Girl, that's alright)

They be like, ooh let them eat cake

But we eat wings and throw them bones on the ground"

9. "For Yourself" - Ralph

If any song represented words to live by, this would be it! As a modern women, we are constantly told that we need to look or act a certain way to appeal to men or a certain group of people. We get so caught up in this notion, that we forget about the things that bring us joy as indiviuals...

"Never be lonely if you got you

Might seem scary, but you're so good

You don't need praise to lift you up higher

You know how to light your own fire"

10. "Psychopath" - Charlotte Lawrence, Nina Nesbitt, Sasha Sloan

This song perfectly expresses the feeling when someone from the past tries to re-enter your life. It really is true that people want you more when you're out of their life. The three ladies that this song features are extremely talented and their voices blend together like butter...

"'Cause I don't need your love, I don't need your cash

I don't want your stupid shit, you can have it back

You keep saying that I'm crazy not to take you back

But if that makes me crazy, you're a psychopath"