9 Songs From Your Middle School Emo Stage

Get ready for the nostalgia trip.

240
Original Photo Courtesy of Mackenzie Boivin

The year is 2011. You are 12 years old and wearing silver eyeshadow, your bangs are bobby pinned to the side to created a part you will never achieve naturally. You are wearing a My Chemical Romance graphic tee with colored skinny jeans that are torn and tattered, paired with knee-high converse and the unforgettable jelly bracelet that says "Save the Boobies <3" and "RAWR XD." Your emo phase is possibly the best phase you will ever go through; at least, when it comes with the best music. Here are nine songs that will take you down memory lane and reawaken the little goth girl you were in middle school.

1. "Miserable At Best" by Mayday Parade

Cue the tears, this one will get you. The boy you had a crush on would never love you back. Middle school relationships are hard, I get that. This became the cry song for the rest of your life. Need a good ugly sob? This will help ya get there.

2. "Nine In The Afternoon" by Panic! At The Disco

What a time in the P!ATD timeline; they were still an actual band at this point. My love to this day will never fade for Brendan Urie. This was probably one of your intro songs to the goth lifestyle, and it really is a timeless classic. I wouldn't say it's the best P!ATD song ever, but it is one of the greats.

3. "Welcome to the Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance

This is the ultimate MCR song that every goth knows. While it is beautiful, I'd be lying if I said it were my favorite emo anthem. But, still, where would we be without MCR? I am still sad they broke up before I was old enough to attend a concert. WHY CRUEL WORLD?

4. "Sugar, We’re Goin Down" by Fall Out Boy

When I was oh-so privileged to meet FOB, my bff and I got these lyrics made on tank tops, and Pete Wentz looked me in my soul and told me, "I like your shirts!" To say I melted in that instant would be an understatement. This song still makes its appearance back into your life from cover bands and frat parties, but, really, it's a banger, so how could it not?

5. "All The Small Things" by blink-182

Another song that still makes appearances on the party scene these days, but as well it should. To say I'm annoyed with all the basics who never went through their proper emo phase using "What's My Age Again" for their 23rd birthdays would be the understatement of the century. 2011 Kenzi is coming for you, stop stealing my caption ideas.

6. "Dear Maria, Count Me In" by All Time Low

Such a jam. Less mainstream than most, but it is still a golden track in my little emo heart. "There's a story at the bottom of this bottle and I'm the pen" *heart melts*

7. "Face Down" by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

This was one of those songs that helped transition you into your full-on hard rock stage. Screaming rage and all, your middle school mood swings were fueled to the maximum by this jam.

8. "Misery Business" by Paramore

HOLLA GIRLS! This still slaps to this day. When I saw FOB, I also saw Pmore. There wasn't a person in the crowd that wasn't screaming this at the top of their lungs.

9. "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers

Though this song was last, it certainly was not least. I remember a few years ago when the Killers were at Lollapalooza, my inner emo child cried while watching the snap videos roll in. You hear this everywhere still today. It slaps, so really you can't be mad. Catch me screaming this at the top of my lungs at any party ever (alongside literally anyone else who is with me).

I hope these songs reawakened your inner emo child, from your most beloved times with fake extensions and purple skinny jeans to the most cringe-inducing of moments. I am truly hoping these songs make their way back into your jams playlist!

Related Articles Around the Web