Embarking On The Path Of Absolute Enlightenment

What if the meaning of life was eternally hidden from us yet simply present within us?

23

Philosophy is a crucial foundation to all knowledge and wisdom. It's rooted in our minds and hearts, guiding our very existence from one point of time to another. It continues to guide us all the while, making us ponder the most greatest mystery since the beginning of time, or should I say since the beginning of everything? The enigma that every soul has been dying to comprehend or even come close to scratching the surface is: What is the meaning of life?

This further brings me to articulate that we, as a human race, have established religions and elaborate belief systems to explain that which we cannot perceive in a concrete sense. Religion is a system of beliefs, behaviors, practices, ethics and social organization that relates humanity to an order of existence.The most major religions in the world are: Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism and Christianity (last three of which are monotheistic and Abrahamic religions).

What if the meaning of life was eternally hidden from us yet simply present within us? What if all the religions of the world each have a clue embedded in them, clues that lead to solving the great mystery? What if the religions each contained a piece of the ultimate puzzle (of the universe)? How exactly do we become one with the Supreme Being?

Well, just to give you some insight, here is some information about the world religions mentioned above to help put things into perspective:

Hinduism: Regarded as possibly the most ancient religion in the world. The basic beliefs articulate how humans are constantly living in an endless cycle of life, death and rebirth, a cycle known as 'samsara' and one that includes reincarnation. During this course, the karma (refers to the spiritual principle of how one's actions can affect their future) of an individual can affect his or her destiny in the future. This religion describes the concept and the goal of humans finding a way to achieve 'moksha' or liberation, to break free from the cycle in order to attain spiritual enlightenment.

Buddhism: Reflects on how an individual can achieve Nirvana by releasing themselves from their earthly tethers and comprehending the true nature of reality. It was founded by Siddhartha Gautama or the Buddha. It focuses on how we can end our suffering via the Four Noble Truths, The Eightfold Path, and the Middle Way. It relates to Hinduism in that both mention how humans should accomplish inner peace and an absolute state of contentment.

Islam: Believes that people may submit to the will and good faith of God and achieve salvation by following the Five Pillars: faith, prayer, charity/altruism, fasting of Ramadan and the sacred pilgrimage to Mecca.

Judaism: Mentions that there is only one God to abide by. God is regarded as intervening in human history and mentions his exercising of judgment. This religion also includes eschatology or the doctrine and belief in the end of days/divine judgment/apocalypse.

Christianity: Is, of course, based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. It is believed that all have sinned and can attain salvation through the faith of Christ. Christ was a powerful figure, who was stated to have been resurrected after his death.

The last three religions mentioned all include beliefs of eschatology, the coming of a Messiah (a prophet and savior), a masculine God interacting with the human race, etc.

Religion and philosophy have influenced folklore and tales of finding immortality and achieving Nirvana. Nevertheless, there is also atheism (no belief in God) and agnosticism (neither confirm nor deny there is a God/existence of God can't be proven). That's fine. Of course, we all have our own beliefs as to how we go about our lives. But it's what's interesting is that when looking at many belief systems, we find that they mainly have one common goal: to become the best that we can be, to achieve enlightenment. If there is an underlying commonality, why is there so much divide? If we humans have much in common, why is it that our system that can unite us also drive us apart? (OK, that can lead into a whole another philosophical discussion, so I now leave for you to ponder).

This website includes more information on world religions.