Remembering General Organa, Carrie Fisher's Greatest Role

Fisher gave girls the best role model she could in General Organa.

30
Inverse

The death of iconic actor, metal-health advocate and writer, Carrie Fisher, has sent shockwaves of grief throughout the world. Carrie was most well-known for her portrayal of Princess Leia in the Star Wars series, and for her struggles with her own mental illness and addiction. Most people are busy remembering this fiery, passionate, no-shame woman, as they should. However, most have been only remembering her as Princess Leia when she was so much more.

Don't get me wrong, Leia is one of my favorite characters. She taught a generation of girls that you don't need to be saved, and that a strong woman is better than one that rolls over and allows the men in her life to take care of her. She wasn't ladylike in her portrayal as Leia or in her real life, but she managed to exude class despite her somewhat brash nature. She fell for a scoundrel, not a prince, and their love was anything but perfect. Leia wasn't the picture perfect princess that girls had seen their whole lives, and she was the tomboy that girls needed. However, if the world is going to immortalize any character of Carrie's, General Organa, not Princess Leia, deserves that honor.

We met General Organa in The Force Awakens as a woman that had lived through the first Empire's rule, a woman that had been deserted by the love of her life, a woman that had no family, and a woman that had lost her only son to the Dark Side. Despite her sorrows, Organa was the leader of the Rebellion and was continuing to fight for what she believed was right, without having any family by her side.

She did what Han Solo and Luke Skywalker couldn't: she kept fighting. She worked her way up through the ranks of the Rebellion, with no gifts or special abilities, only hard work. General Organa wasn't the subject of a generation of men's fantasies. She wasn't dressed in a gold bikini or braless in a white see-through dress. She was battle-worn and tired, but dammit she was still there. And that's the best character that Carrie could've given us before she died.

Carrie gave us a fighter.

General Organa and Carrie Fisher found and embodied hope in the world. Despite all the hardships, whether they were brought by the Empire or by addiction and mental illness, Carrie fought for her happiness. She didn't care what anyone thought and she fought for what she believed she deserved, just like Leia. Carrie gave girls the best role model she could in General Organa — everything a young woman should try to be. Not perfect, not ladylike, and not a lovestruck helpless woman. She was simply a fighter.

Carrie, we love you and we hope you know it. May the Force always be with you.