11 Things You Experience Attending A Small Liberal Arts School

21
http://www.elmira.edu/

Attending a small private college is a unique experience, or at least in comparison to other schools. Your friends from other schools try to tell you that you don't go to a "real college," but you just have to explain to them your college is a little different.

1. You can't walk across campus without seeing someone you know.

When you know half the student body, you're bound to run into someone. This is usually a good thing, because chances are, you're friends with most of them.

2. Avoiding anyone is impossible.

It's a small campus with a small student body. If there's anyone you are hoping to avoid running into, I can pretty much guarantee they're going to to start appearing twice as much.

3. Everyone knows everything about each other.

Like I said, it's a small student body. If something exciting is happening to you, someone else might know before you do. If you make a mistake or do something you regret? Everyone knows it, and they are definitely not going to let you live it down. You're going to hear about it for a long, long time

4. You're way too involved.

Your email signature probably lists you as the officer of three clubs, a member of the campus a capella group, and a dance line member. Oh, and you play a sport. And hold two jobs. And you volunteer in your spare time.

5. You know all of your professors.

You've had them for four other you know exactly how their class will be taught. Actually, you know how their class is taught whether you've had them before or not because one of your friends has definitely had them as a professor before.

6. Campus may be small, but you're going to complain about walking anyway.

This semester, one of your classes is a five-minute walk. Are you actually supposed to make it that far?

7. Your classes are smaller than your high school classes.

Some of your classes have less than ten students in them, and a "big" class might be around thirty.

8. The dating pool is small.

If they're not in a relationship, it's probably because they just dated one of your best friends. Everyone is connected in one way or another. Besides, there's just a small number of you to begin with.

9. You are constantly having to explain your school.

When you tell people where you go to school, you usually have to follow it with, "it's a small school about an hour from _____." When you mention some traditional your school has, you're going to have to elaborate; the person you're talking to probably has no idea what you're talking about.

10. Community is everything.

As much as you hate to admit it sometimes, one of the best parts of your small school is the tight-knit community.

You really do love how many people you've gotten to know, because....

11. You've made friendships and bonds that will last a lifetime.

As different as your school may be, you wouldn't trade the experience for anything.