Voting Today, Voting for a lifetime
Politics

If You Vote, You Get A Sticker So Why Would You Not Vote?

Yes YOU should vote, if you are eligebile.

182
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shan213/25132963640

The United States of America is divided. From legalization of recreational marijuana to whether or not to stand during the national anthem, we find the country divided. I have heard from acquaintances that they have not talked to family members in years because of their opposing political views. In any conversation you are having, politics cannot be avoided. Political preferences and party affiliations end up dictating conversations. However, talk is cheap. If we want change, we have to make change. We cannot just speak about change when there is no action or driving force.

If you can vote, you must vote. If eligible, you must vote. If you know people who are eligible to vote, you must push them to vote. Now with the technology available at our fingertips, we can find information on candidates and issues in a blink of an eye. It is important to vote, but it is even more important to be educated on what and/or who you are voting for. It is a civic duty in my eyes for eligible voters in the United States to vote. If you vote, you get a sticker that says "I voted". If that's not a reason to get up and vote, I do not know what is.

I urge you to vote in primary, general, and local elections. Although some may get more coverage than others, we all know that all 3 types of elections are in need of good voter turnout. Local elections are extremely important for one pressing reason. Local leadership helps determine what happens around you. If you are a legible voter and don't vote, you can't complain about our political system because you haven't made an effort to make change. If you already have voted, you are taking action and being a driving force of change. Please exercise your right for those who cannot.

The United States is divided, and I cannot stress that enough. A reason to vote is because voting binds us together. It's never just a president on a ballot. There are measures that can affect us and the people we love for years to come. Another reason to vote is because the United States of America is a democracy. The higher the voter turnout, the more representative our democracy is. The United States is supposed to be a country "by the people, for the people". The margin of victory is critical, and by simply sending in your ballot, you are making history. You should still vote, even if the opposing candidate is going to win, because it is your right to express what you believe. You can effect the margin of victory, and that will lead to more moderate policies.

Citizens may take the right to vote for granted. However, there are still people in our country and other countries who cannot vote. Minority voters have an unbelievable effect on the polls, and it is beautiful to see people come together to exercise their right to vote. Voter accessibility is a problem, and it is important to have your voice heard. You should vote because you want to use your voice. Self expression is so important, as evident by the numerous amount of outspoken people in the media.

You should vote because voting is a license to complain. Complaining is a good pastime. Your grievances will bring more change about if you speak out as a voter trying to hold your candidates accountable. Once elected, many officials forget about the promises they made. To vote is to tell the elected officials that you will not let them stand idly by. You want change and so do I; for that, we are united. For more resources regarding voting, the USA.gov web page is a great resource.

Related Articles Around the Web