Education and Corona

Education and Corona

How will colleges be impacted by corona and how will they adapt?

6
Education and Corona

With only a couple of months remaining until the fall semester, it is difficult to predict what the atmosphere will be like once college students, like myself, restart classes. Many universities have not come out with a detailed comprehensive plan for fall, which is understandable because the pandemic is very unpredictable right now; who knows what the climate will be like in September? Many schools, like Rutgers, have said that a hybrid model is most likely for schooling to prevent larger classes from congregating and the disease from spreading. Learning online was something that took time to get used to and I don't know if I will be able to adjust to it again. I am assuming that labs will have to be online and other classes where physical presence is required, but it will be hard to coordinate such classes while maintaining proper safety measures

The current situation also makes living arrangements for students difficult because if most of their classes are online, students can save money living at home. Many students have already signed and paid for leases on off-campus apartments, which will most likely still have to be paid, no matter their lack of residence. Other schools, such as Seton Hall have announced that they will be in person until fall break, and then remote for the rest of the semester.

Covid-19 will impact many other parts of college life such as clubs, dance teams, Greek life, sports, etc. My dance team has been informed that our usual fall competition will be moved to early 2021, which changes our schedule a lot. Competitions have also gotten rid of their pre-comp mixer for teams, all audience members, and afterparties to limit exposure and contact. I am also not sure if and how practices will occur with 20+ people on the team.

It's too early to tell exactly what will happen in the fall, but hopefully we can return to some state of normalcy.