Educated By Tara Westover

Educated By Tara Westover

A book review by Amman Zia.

107
https://www.nationalreview.com/
National Review

Education is a basic necessity that leads to immense changes and growth in society. Education allows one's mind to take into account significant problems in society. Education leads to progress and adaptation. Being educated is something that many individuals, especially in the United States, do not have access to. Educated by Tara Westover is a memoir about Westover's life full of hardships and difficulties. Westover did not have access to education until she turned seventeen years old. She wrote this memoir to ignite change and for the world to perceive those who take education for granted.

The memoir begins with Westover analyzing and describing her life at a young age, in Utah, while living with a conservative family. Her father despised education considering it is "dangerous for the human brain." Her father disliked those who went out of their way to get an education or be educated. Westover's siblings quickly left the family, due to their father's way of thinking and disliking education. At age seventeen, Westover attended Trinity College and later went on to Brigham Young University, in Utah, with the help of her brother. Considering she did not attend elementary, middle, or high school, she quickly desired to attend college and obtain some kind of degree to get a job.

While attending college, there were countless happenings and historic events Westover was not aware of. The most intriguing thing I found was that Westover did not know what the Holocaust was. She received harsh remarks from her classmates because she didn't know anything regarding human rights violations. The book transitions to Westover learning several ideas, principles, and ideologies in society. She found education to be captivating and a necessity. Not only did she learn about historic events, but she also discovered psychological terms to characterize her father. She discovered, by herself, that her father is bipolar because of his actions. I find this to be fascinating, considering she was able to learn and identify her father. Power to her for going out of her way to obtain an education!

The memoir's main themes are independence, identity, and determination. Westover was successfully able to emancipate herself and find her true passion- and that is to be educated. She was determined to obtain an education and to get somewhere in life. I highly recommend this memoir, considering we all have hardships in life and what matters is the outcome. What matters is how we evolve and sprout to become open-minded human beings. This memoir is captivating as it holds significance and power, where a young individual embarks on an enthralling journey.

Westover now has a Ph.D. in Intellectual History. She is ready to inspire and motivate others, which is remarkable! Thus, this book is a must-read and I highly suggest putting this on your summer reading list!