Dealing With Dyslexia As A Writer

Dealing With Dyslexia As A Writer

It is the most amazing feeling when you accomplish impossible things.

23
Dealing With Dyslexia As A Writer
Pixabay.com

I would like to clarify before reading any more that I don't get my letters backwards, that is a common misconception of having a learning disability like mine.

When I was growing up, I always felt different when it came to school. I'm not going to lie, watching your friends get straight A's while you are nine-years-old is difficult. I remember being in the back of the classroom after getting my first F. My best friend at the time, Kanchi, had just asked me what grade I had made on our last test. I didn't respond. I couldn't even look up to her.

"Just show one finger if it was an A, 2 if a B, 3 if it was a C.." She dropped the end of her sentence as I popped out five fingers.

I didn't understand why school was hard for me. I remember asking my mom I wasn't smart. She said I was smart, I just struggled because my brain was just a little "slow". I continued to get bad grades but our school just passed me onto the next grade.

In the fourth grade, I really started to struggle with my reading books. Our teacher had a policy that if you had not met your reading goals, you had to sit outside and read while the other kids played. To this day I still remember the torture of watching your best friends play, laugh, and smile.

Near the end of my fifth grade year I was finally diagnosed with Dyslexia, along with a processing disorder. My whole life turned upside down, I was suddenly in speech therapy three days a week. I continued this until seventh grade.

Being Dyslexic is very hard. Everything is confusing. It's incredibly frustrating to do your school work. You want to quit every single day, but it is the most amazing feeling to accomplish impossible things.

I am an aspiring writer. I am a Dyslexic aspiring author.

What are the odds.