Don't Neglect Your Journey

Don't Neglect Your Journey

The best part of every success story is how they got there.

38
Don't Neglect Your Journey

I know it’s been awhile since I’ve written anything but I guess you could say I’ve been a bit busy. Between softball season and finals, I’ve been absolutely swamped. It came to me today how focused I am on my destination. I could sit here and tell you all of my hopes and dreams but what I want to talk about is enjoying the journey. So when I say “destination” I mean, your dream job, meeting that special someone, getting your dream car. Just getting to that place, whatever that means is different for everyone. Once you feel like you’re in a point in your life where everything is exactly how it’s supposed to be, you’ve probably made it to your destination. People may reach theirs at different times, so don’t be discouraged if someone gets there before you. What I’m trying to say is don’t be so distracted by your destination that you neglect your journey.

It’s graduation season and I’m extremely jealous. I look at everyone and how they are about to begin their careers and find their place in the world and be independent. Wait, does that even sound that fun? I still have another year of school, one more year to play the sport I love, and one more year to pretend I’m not an adult. Why am I so jealous? Why am I in such a hurry to be an adult? This is what I mean though. As a college student I realize how much we wish away our years in school or just our years in general. I’m constantly saying, “Can’t wait to graduate and make money.” Blah blah blah. People always say,” I can’t wait until I have this or can do that.” Then I hear my parents and people who have already graduated say, “Enjoy it while you can.” I think they’re right. Actually I know they’re right. They’ve already been through this, so they have to be. Right? Truth is, your journey is scary. You're going to fail and you're going to feel like giving up but it's what you'll have in the end to make it all worth it. People want to skip over the parts where it's hard because they just want the easy part but that isn't what it's about. Having it all would be nice and sounds great but working for what you want and saying you EARNED it, sounds a whole ot better if you ask me.

This summer I’m starting an internship and I have a part time job. I honestly could not be more excited. I told myself the other day this is it, I’m starting my journey towards my future. I’m going into this summer with an open mind to learn as much as possible and soak up the fact that I’m going through a journey to get to where I want to be. My destination will mean nothing without it. If I didn’t have to work for what I wanted in life, it wouldn’t mean as much. So as I have one year left of undergrad, one year left of softball, and one year left to pretend I’m not about to be an adult, I promise to take in everything that my journey entails. I urge everyone to not resent his or her journey no matter how rough it is, how long it takes, and how different it is from the next person. Appreciate every minute of it because I believe once you hit your destination, you’ll almost miss being on that bumpy road that got you there.