Getting Inked Underage Is One Of The Worst Decisions You Can Make, Absolutely

A tattoo is a beautiful addition to who you are, but something so permanent should be done correctly by a skilled professional.

357

Tattoos have been in existence for over 10 millennia. In 1991, "Otzi the Iceman" was found encased within a glacier in the Alps between Italy and Austria by two tourists. The discovery of Otzi led to the revelation of the oldest known preserved tattoos in existence.

Otzi’s tattoos date all the way back to approximately 3300 B.C. Unfortunately, we will never be 100 percent sure of the meaning behind the Iceman’s ink. Although, the fact that the location of most of his tattoos align with areas where he endured joint and spinal degeneration has lead scientists to theorize that his tattoos could've possibly served a therapeutic purpose or they could've marked the positions for acupuncture.

Cultures around the world believed for centuries that tattoos could be used as a treatment for a variety of ailments.

Despite the art's ancient origins, it wasn't until quite recently that it became less socially taboo. For the longest time, tattoos were socially unacceptable, and anyone who sported ink would be deemed immoral, an outcast or a freak-show.

Even today there is a chance body modifications might interfere with potential job opportunities. We must be exceptionally mindful of any ink we get because unfortunately, many occupations still have strict policies when it comes to body modifications.

Tattoos truly are the ultimate commitment to a stylistic form of self-expression and identity. Perhaps, the act of getting a tattoo itself signifies strength and the ability to withstand pain, which in and of itself could be seen as a right of passage.

Tattoos are a way in which we showcase ourselves to the rest of the world; they're a part of who we are.

For some people, a tattoo must have a detailed and complex meaning or representation, while others can go easily with the flow and get ink purely for the aesthetic aspect of it. Some tattoos have a deep cultural connection, and others may cover mastectomy or self-harm scars. When it comes to tattoos, they are as varied and diverse as the people who wear them.

Our ink will stick with us forever, and we should take careful consideration, not only concerning what we place where but, more importantly, who puts it there.

If you're under 18-years-old, in most states in America, you can't get inked unless you live in an area where at 16 or 17-years-old, it's legal with the permission of a parent.

Usually, a respectable artist will not work with someone underage because it could jeopardize their business license and thus, their livelihood. This means you're probably getting tatted by someone on the sketchier, seedier and shadier side of the industry.

Though this is a cheaper route, it is also a huge risk. If you're anything like I am, then you like things to be perfect and just the way you want them.

In the least, you want your tattoo to be decent and legible.

Body art is one of my favorite forms of art, and one dayI hope to be heavily inked. In fact, I've already made plans for most of my body. I've learned from experience that it's best to make plans. When you're young, you're impulsive and have a lot of growing to do — I know I did.

I got my first tattoo on impulse because my best friend was getting one. I chose what I wanted, and three days later it was on my foot. Don't get me wrong, I would consider getting the design again in a different area. Disappointingly, the skill level of the artist left me seething with not only anger but also regret.

You don't want your tattoo to be done with such shoddy craftsmanship. Line-work is important. A professional knows not to make it too thick or too thin. A professional can create a symmetrical design and shade it in beautifully.

I've had to live with my painfully impulsive decision for four years now, and it's going to cost me a pretty heavy penny to have it covered up.

You might as well skip the pain in the first place.

Why go through it if you're just going to have to sit through another four hours of tattooing or even tattoo removal? The original tattoo was a time and money wasting mistake.

Spare yourself (and your wallet) the pain by having your ink done properly by a professional the first time. It might be more expensive initially, but it'll save you a lot of grief in the long run.

Besides, what you might like when you're 14, 15 or 16-years-old could change drastically in the next few years. So, wait it out and give your ink a lot of thought! That way you won't have any shame about your ink or your body.

It can be incredibly saddening to have an idea you loved so much, one you held dearly to your heart, become something you wish wasn't a part of you.