Don't Assume I'm Lazy

Don't Assume I'm Lazy

Just because I'm overweight doesn't mean I don't want to change.

19
Don't Assume I'm Lazy
Milner Fenwick

You know you hear a lot, "Why can't fat people just control their eating? It's not that hard to workout. Eat a salad!" They are questions that loom over everyone's head, but what are the answers? What are the actual reasons that people have such trouble losing weight?

Just like any drug or other substance, food is addictive, especially bad food. Some grew up on fast food and now it has become ingrained in them. I think growing up I can say I probably ate fast food at least once a day on average. It's part of being busy among, other things, but I was used to it. Some never learned how to cook, so when they do, it is plain and boring. Food is exciting and creates an explosion in your mouth! But if you don't know how to cook, it's sad for your taste buds. I love food, so I'll tell you if I have a choice between my bland chicken that I make or even some restaurant grilled chicken, I know which I am choosing.

Exercise: The word makes me shudder. I hate going to the gym and feeling judged and worthless. You aren't supposed to compare yourself to others, but it is so difficult to do, especially when trying to do some sort of weights. The frequent goers just stare like, "What is this person doing trying to squat?" It's intimidating and scary, especially when you don't know exactly what you're doing or supposed to be doing. It's not a good feeling to feel judged and out of place, especially when you know you've messed up and you're trying to change your life.

Speaking of exercise, it just sucks. I don't get a runner's high, I don't "feel the pump," none of it. I hate the burning feeling in my throat and lungs, the wheezing and feeling of a lack of oxygen, the way my whole body hurts and the feeling of being a failure if I can't complete something. I usually end up feeling worse than when I started because I get mad about how far I've let myself go and it takes me a couple hours to not feel mentally and physically exhausted afterward. No, I've never gotten done with a workout and thought to myself, "I wish I wouldn't have done that," but, man, it doesn't make me feel good either.

It's really easy to quickly assume that bigger people are just lazy or don't care, but there are some thoughts that go through our brain or things that we can't help. A lot of the time we need help that we either can't afford or don't have. Before you assume laziness or a lack of caring, talk to them and try to help. Try and help break the addiction and habits we've had since childhood and help us feel more comfortable at a gym. Just don't assume we're lazy and don't want to change, we may just need that little help.