I Moved Out Of My Comfort Zone And I Am Loving It

Moving away and going off to college can be insanely scary, stressful, and straight up terrifying.

12
personal

I am sure we have all been there, hopelessly dreaming of moving out, going off to college, and gripping that independence we long for so bad. I often thought about where I was going to attend college and strategically planned places farther from home, just to give myself more of that so-called freedom.

After missing multiple application deadlines and receiving numerous letters stating I was not accepted, the signs were clear. I needed to rethink what colleges I was interested in and which ones were way out of my potential. The entire time I was applying for colleges, I kind of refused to apply to Missouri State because I was dumb and thought it was way too close to home. But here I am, sitting in the basement of my residence hall and absolutely loving it.

When I informed people in conversation that I was going to be living on campus I often got the question of why? I mean I'll admit, my life at home was pretty nice for the most part. I had my own room, free food on the table, and lots of friends surrounding me. So why would I spend thousands of dollars to live in a small condensed room, with another person and share disgusting showers with an entire floor of girls?

Don't get me wrong. I would much rather sleep in my big, very comfortable bed at home with home-cooked food and a reasonably clean bathroom. But at home, I would never have been exposed to all the campus life opportunities and memories that I will hold dear to me for years to come.

Never in my life would I have thought doing homework next to people was fun or even something I would cherish - nor would I ever think I would actually do all my homework. I always assumed that it was impossible for me just to start a random conversation with a complete stranger, but look at me, talking to whatever person I may share a short elevator ride with or the classmate sitting next to me in a lecture.

Something about being surrounded by the Missouri State community makes me feel safe and happy to carry on with my education. Not only did I move just about 22 minutes from my home, but I also move out of my comfort zone and I am ready for the weeks, months, and years ahead.