Antoni Porowski Came To MSU And I Had No Chill

"Frozen Peas!" -Antoni Porowski, 2020

30
www.instagram.com

Beloved Queer Eye food and wine expert Antoni Porowski blessed Missouri State's Juanita K. Hammons Hall on Tuesday night by providing delightful insights into his college years, recent fame, and his favorite salad from his new cookbook.

Porowski dropped insightful quips about the difficulties of choosing a major that also pleases your family, following your passion, the realities of fame, and that frozen peas are the best broke-college-student food item.

assets.rebelmouse.io

However, my most appreciated take away from the evening was getting to see an LGBTQ+ celebrity praised at an event in a Midwestern "Red" state. As a Californian who recently moved to Missouri, there is a massive shock that stems from the very different cultures of acceptance and general perception of LGBTQ+ people.

I honestly never really anticipated that Missouri State would invite a prominent LGBTQ+ celebrity to speak, much more one who works with people in such a positive way while challenging oft-held stereotypes in historically "Red" states. However, this choice was incredibly well received and presented a phenomenal role model for LGBTQ+ and non-LGBTQ+ students alike.

Porowski spoke at length about his interpretation of self-care, and how he finds serving himself must fulfilling when serving others. He talked about the blessing of Queer Eye exposing him to his passion for helping others through a medium he loves, and how that has been a positive influence on his own life.

The beauty of Antoni Porowski is that he is aware of the ability he has to do good for others. It is so refreshing to watch a successful celebrity discuss how they are able to spread love and positivity through their work. Porowski's lovely evening at Missouri State truly inspired me to spread a little more joy in everything I do (and eat).