Golf Is One Of The Most Underrated Professional Sports

The history of golf and why it is great

83
Photo by Will Porada on Unsplash

Golf has been around for ages, it can be traced back to Rome, China, England, France, Persia, and the Netherlands.

But the golf that we know today started in Scotland in the 1400s. James II King of Scotland banned the game in 1457 because it took away from archery which he thought was more important. But in 1502 James IV the new King lifted the ban as he became a golfer himself.

The first standard 18-hole course was developed at St Andrews in 1672. The first tournament was The Open Championship played on October 17, 1860, at the Prestwick Golf Club and the grand prize was a red leather belt. In 1888 Robert Lockhart and John Reid demonstrated golf in the United States by setting up a single hole in an orchard. They then started the first American golf club in Yonkers, New York called Saint Andrew's Golf Club.

In 1901 the PGA was formed. Then came along the greats like, Arnold Palmer, Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus, Bobby Jones, Phil Mickelson, and of course Tiger Woods.

Golf is a sport unlike the rest, it teaches patience, respect, critical thinking, determination, self-appreciation, and a love for the outdoors.

You need the patience to give yourself time to learn how to play the game and to not knock yourself when you have a ball go astray. Golf etiquette is all about respect. Not talking when someone is about to swing, not walking in someones putting line, marking your ball and move it if it is in someone's way, and declaring your ball lost and out of bounds if you cannot find it within five minutes.

Critical thinking is the main aspect of golf, you have to be able to look down the fairway and decipher which clubs you're going to need to make it to the green. Or when you hit a shot in a bad place and have to figure out how to get it back on track.

You have to stay determined to stay in the game, not getting upset when things don't go your way. It's a long game and very easy to get discouraged. It is also key to appreciate the effort that you've put into the game. Everyone has good and bad days on the course but a real player doesn't beat themselves up, they just keep trying.

An 18-hole round of golf normally takes about four hours, in that time you are immersed in the great outdoors. You learn to appreciate all the sounds, colors, textures, and patterns that occur naturally.

Golf is a sport that can be played by all ages, and is never too late to be picked up. It is good for business and personal relationships, and overall makes you an understanding individual.