Why Dogs Make Better Pets than Cats
Nature Animals

Why Dogs Make Better Pets than Cats

Sorry, Cat People

10

A pet is defined as any animal kept by human beings as a source of companionship and pleasure. The keeping of pets has been practiced from prehistoric times to the present with an unwavering popularity. Pets are found in nearly every culture in the history of the Earth; the Mesopotamians used dogs for lion hunting, early explorers used horses for traveling, some cultures even worshipped specific pets as their godly leader. Owning a pet not only satisfies a source of companionship and pleasure, but also a practical and helpful aid in different instances. Birds, fish, bunnies, snakes, horses, gerbils, turtles, hamsters, and even tarantulas; the list of house pets seems to be never ending. Despite all of the different varieties of pets for each and every unique pet owner, dogs and cats continue to be two of the most popular pets for a multitude of reasons. Although cats are a favorite for plenty as a very commonly owned pet, dogs continue to reign superior.

Dogs have been a large part of history for as long as we can remember. Dating back to 12,000 years BCE, there stood a temple located in Örencik, Şanlıurfa Province, Turkey named Gobekli Tepe which now is declared the oldest existing temple standing to this day. This temple has been said to be built in honor and worship of the dog star, Sirius. With such an ancient piece of history providing evidence of the existence of dogs in the Middle East, we can't deny the power of the bond between mankind and dog; as this bond is unlike any other.

The earliest records verify wolves were the first animals to be domesticated. After wolves were domesticated, different varieties of the offspring began to grow smaller and away from the traditional wolf. With dogs as the first known domesticated animal, it is likely that dogs were also the first owned pet animal. Dogs are known for their strong loyalty towards their owners as well as their lovable personalities. Not only are dogs great household pets, but they are also known for their therapeutic abilities, protective instincts, and useful sense of smell and direction while locating different objects, substances, and other animals. Dogs are very personable and generally adapt well to new environments. Being easily trainable, adaptable, and smart are all qualities dogs possess.

The loyalty dogs exemplify is unlike any other animal. Despite the fact that many believe dogs are so loyal because of their dependence on humans for food and shelter, it is obvious a dog's loyalty is fueled by something stronger. Scientists assume these animals were attracted to humans first because of their campsites full of scraps that provided food for them scavenge for. To dig even deeper into modern scientific studies, there is legitimate evidence behind this bond. Normally when two humans lock eyes it releases a hormone called oxytocin, this has been proven to occur between human and dog as well. One display of loyalty is the story of Hawkeye. Hawkeye was a dog belonging to Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson. At Tumilson's funeral on August 19th, 2011 in Rockford, Iowa, his former coworking canine laid at the foot the casket during the entire duration of the ceremony. After years of training, working, and living alongside Tumlinson, not even death could break their bond. Another example of loyalty is exhibited in the movie Hachi: A Dog's Tale, a story about Hachito, a dog who greeted his owner at the train station every single day when he returned home from work. When the owner suddenly died, Hachi still returned to the train station at the same time each day for the next nine years. The movie is based on a true story and is yet another example of the love and faithfulness within dogs.

Dogs are very good at showing appreciation. Dogs want to show you love and affection by constantly being near you, touching you by licking, sniffing, laying down near you, sitting on or by you, and sometimes even communicating by verbal and nonverbal ways, (barking, growling, crying, head tilting, shaking hands, and tail wagging) all while cats never want to show close affection except for when they want to be pet. Dogs try to give love back to you, while cats only want to take your attention with no return.

Although cats are normally more independent and require less attention, they lack the companionship and loyalty displayed in dogs. You spend your hard earned money on your cats food, litter, and shelter, yet your cat will never greet you at the door with a wagging tail after missing you.

Dogs are also very well adaptable and easily trainable. Dogs make for good pets in homes with families because of their ability to pick up on communication cues. Dogs can also pick up on commands like sit, stay, fetch, and roll over. Cats do not respond to these communication cues due to their unwillingness to respond to their owners and their inability to retain the knowledge that doing these basic tasks require.

While dogs are very playful and active, cats seem to be quite the opposite. Sure, cats are easily intrigued with laser pointers and catnip, but without some kind of incentive, cats are usually very lazy. According to petmd.com, research has proven the average cat sleeps for 12-16 hours a day, while newborns and older cats can sleep for over 20. Cats tend to sleep in warm areas like windows, near fireplaces, or in your favorite chair as you get up for a few minutes and leave it feeling warm. Meanwhile, dogs will sleep while you're asleep, (9-12 hours) and will spend time with you while you're awake. Because dogs want to play and move with you, you don't have to worry about your dog taking your favorite seat. Dogs love playing with their owners and the families they live with. Something draining like walking for humans is something very exciting and fun for dogs, as long as they are with their owner. Unlike your cat, your dog will keep you young. Dogs enjoy learning new tricks, going on walks and runs, running outside, playing fetch with toys, balls, and sticks, and simply walking around the house with you doing everyday tasks. Playing with your dog builds the trust and the overall relationship of an owner and dog. Spending time with your dog will strengthen the bond you have, keep you and your dog healthy, and make your free time more rewarding.

The more time you spend with your dog, the smarter your dog will become. Because dogs are so easily trainable, dogs can and have been trained to administer different medical techniques and assist their owners when necessary for their health and wellbeing. The most common example of this is service dogs. According to the ADA, a Service Animal is any animal (dog) that is specifically trained to perform tasks for a disabled individual that would otherwise have difficulty completing on their own. Service dogs are trained to help people with disabilities, such as visual impairment, hearing impairments, mental illnesses like post traumatic stress disorder, seizure disorder, mobility impairment, and diabetes. There are dozens of specific types of services dogs; diabetic alert dogs, severe allergy alert dogs, visual assistance dogs, hearing dogs for the deaf, wheelchair assistance dogs, psychiatric service dogs, brace and mobility support dogs, medical alert dogs, seizure assistance dogs, and more. It takes a unique combination of characteristics to produce a good service dog. Each service dog is put through specific training tailored for each individual dog to determine what kind of service dog the canine will be. To earn an AKC Therapy Dog title, the owner and dog must meet specific criteria like being registered and certified by an AKC recognized therapy dog organization, performing the required number of visits for the title in which you are applying, and several tests to qualify for a legitimate licensing. Visual assistance dogs, for example, assist the blind and visually impaired by avoiding obstacles, stopping at curbs and steps, and negotiating traffic. The harness and U-shaped handle used between a visually impaired owner and a visual assistance dog fosters the communication between the dog and partner. A brace and mobility assistance dog is a service dog trained to assist a physically disabled person who has mobility issues. These mobility issues include being wheelchair-dependent, walking with a permanent limp or other physical impairment due to injury or birth defect, owners with Parkinson's Disease, multiple sclerosis, or needling support balancing. While a brace and mobility assistance dog is not a cane, the dog still assists the owner with their gait and balance while standing and walking, and assisting the owner in and out of positions like sitting and lying down. Seizure assistance dogs can assist while their owner is having a seizure by providing a cushion with their body between the owner's head and the ground. While service dogs have changed the lives of millions of people, not every family will need a service dog. However, service and medical assistance dogs are proof that dogs can be taught to do many important tasks, some of which can truly save lives. Cats cannot be trained in this way and they are not used for any specific medical assistance.

Another smart canine is a police dog. A police dog is a dog that is specifically trained to assist police and other law enforcement personnel. The first police service dogs were dogs used during war to pull the enemies off of their horses. The most common police dog breeds today are German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever, Belgian Malinois, and Rottweiler. Police dogs are trained from puppy age and are trained to recognize the trainers voice and to pick up on specific words. Different breeds specialize in different tasks. Some dogs are used for tracking a specific person by smelling an item of clothing or personal belonging, while others are used to protect the police and attack when their trainer is in danger. Police dogs are also used in search and rescue missions, drug detection, security, and bomb sniffing. Police dogs usually live and interact closely with their trainers so they can develop the strongest sense of trust and dependability while on the job. Usually these dogs work for about seven or eight years and are eventually retired. Dogs like these are also used in multiple branches of military and secret service. Just like service dogs, police dogs prove how smart dogs truly are by the skills they can learn in a short amount of time and how dependable they are. On the other hand, cats are not used for security or law enforcement. Cats can barely be trained to use a litter box.

You can rely on your dog to always protect you in your home. There are several stories of dogs waking their owners up during a fire or even pulling them out when the owner cannot evacuate during a fire on their own. Because dogs can smell the smoke, hear the noise of a fire, and sense an issue somewhere in their environment usually before their owners and sometimes even before a smoke alarm, dogs make excellent guards during emergencies.

Dogs can also facilitate their owners during burglaries and break-ins. When dogs hear, see, and/or smell an intruder they can scare the intruder away by barking, growling, and attacking. Dogs will also stand between the owner and intruder, keeping the owner safe even though it puts the dog itself in danger. Dogs will bark and alert the owner, allowing the owner to be aware of what is going on, especially if the owner happens to be sleeping during the time of the intrusion. It is very rare a dog will hide instead of protecting the family it loves, but cats often flee the scene of danger and do nothing to assist their owners.

While dogs often get into messes in the mud or the trash can, dogs know when they are in trouble and will immediately show guilt for the damage they have caused. Cats like to sharpen their claws on furniture and knock things over, but rarely ever learn their lesson or show any sign of guilt.

Litter boxes are a hassle to take care of, clean and maintain. Even though cats can be eventually taught to use a litter box, it is still not uncommon to experience your cat urinating or vomiting on your clothes and around your house. Cats often feel no remorse for doing these things to their owners and it is difficult to teach them right and wrong. Dogs can be potty trained to use a small cut-out doggy door, taught to ring a bell, or just by standing near the door to go outside. Indoor dogs can be easily trained to go to the bathroom outside and not in the house near your belongings. Some dog breeds shed more than others, but your dog will not cough up a hairball every other day like your feline pet might.

Dogs have also been proven to help with depression and anxiety. Dogs have proven to make owners feel a bigger sense of purpose after being more active, being depended on for the live of another living thing, and for being more involved with a sense of community. Studies have shown those who spend time with dogs on a regular basis or before a stressful event live a less stressful life and preform perform under less stress. Dogs have proved to be beneficial in schools, hospitals, behavioral health clinics, and assisted living homes.

One study done by a school teacher proved when there is a dog in the classroom, children are calmer, pay more attention, and don't fight as much. Petting a dog also increases oxytocin levels, which is linked to reducing stress and anxiety. This study included a teacher providing a dog the students knew well for one third of her classroom to give a speech, while another group had a friend to stand with them while delivering the speech, and the third group had a stuffed animal. After the speeches were given by each student, a swab of their saliva was taken to test their stress level. The students with the live dog that they are familiar with proved to be less stressed during the duration of the speech.

Studies have proven children are exposed to dog dust at a young age. Dog allergens are often less destructive than other allergens to humans. The dog dust allergens become lesser and humans quickly become immune to dog dust, whereas cat allergens can be more harmful and leave those affected with coughing, wheezing, hives, rashes, red or itchy eyes, redness of the skin touched by cat, a runny, itchy, or stuffy nose, and sneezing. Studies have also shown that cat allergies can worsen asthma and asthma symptoms, but dog dust does not.

There are dog breeds for everyone. From a large, energetic dog to a small lap dog, there are as many dog personalities as their are owners. Dogs can experience your favorite activities with you, from hunting to running to swimming. Hunting dogs can assist you in smelling and searching for animals, while training dogs will run a few miles with you or alongside your bike. Cats do not like to be active or exercise, so a cat would not be a good companion. For swimmers, dogs typically love water and are born knowing to swim. Cats, however, do not like water and would most likely cause you physical harm for putting them in, near, or around water.

Since dogs are so adaptable, they typically get along well with other animals. Even though dogs are very territorial of their home and family, they are usually very accepting of other animals, especially other dogs. Taking your dog to the dog park, a walk through town, or even bringing a new dog home may begin with a few barks and some sniffing around at first, but quickly your dog will adapt to the other because of each dog's friendly, positive personality.

Dogs are a good family pet because they can be taught to play games, do both simple and complex tricks, and interact well with children. When dogs play they know to be gentle and not bite forcefully on another dog or human, while cats often still scratch and sometimes bite when playing with toys and humans. Dogs are more sympathetic and usually know when to stop, especially as they get older and used to the family. Dogs know when the right time to attack and bite is, and also know when to be gentle, calm, and how to avoid damaging behavior. Cats are more apathetic towards humans and others, so it is unlikely cats will ever care enough to avoid scratching or biting. Dogs live to please you, while cats seem run on their own time with their own priorities.

While cats are one of the most popular pets, dogs are clearly the best fit for every pet owner for several reasons. Dogs are a loyal friend and companion, they adapt well to families, other animals, and new environments. As service dogs continue to help disabled people in more ways than ever, and police dogs continue to be a legitimate source of protection and an asset to the government, it is no wonder dogs are depended on in everyday life for being obedient, smart, and easy to train. Dogs are loving, caring, and friendly to you and your family, and would do anything to please and protect. While dogs are known for being playful, fun, and energetic, they are also gentle and loveable around patients, babies, and a tired owner. On the contrary, cats are known for being moody, disobedient, ornery, and stubborn. Cats tend to sleep all day instead of spending time with humans and are reluctant to help their owners. Cats may have nine lives to sleep away, but there is no doubt: dogs are a man's best friend.