Having A Dog Can Be So Complicated But This Is What I Love The Most

My experience with being a dog mom.

81
Joao Victor Xavier

Having a dog in college can be full of many beautiful and fun things that can enrich the lives of everyone, especially college students like me. It can also be full of many struggles and ultimatums (yes, it is possible to give a dog an ultimatum).

Dog ownership has it's ups and downs for sure, but lately when you're focusing a lot on the downs it's nice to lay it all out to compare the not so great with what makes it all worth it. Here is what I was able to come up with.

Having a dog is

...being the voice of someone who doesn't have one.

...putting their needs before your own.

...giving up that extra 10 minutes that you could be sleeping so you can take them out in the morning before class.

...being a bad cop when you step in a puddle of pee that's right in front of the front door for some reason.

...thinking you know what your dog is going to do before they do it....until they do something else.

...sharing your space with a creature who loves you unconditionally and who will give you kisses even when you think you don't need them.

...understanding that they don't speak our language and learning patience for when you find them chewing your socks...again.

...knowing you need to avoid all toys with fluff unless you want the living room to look like a winter wonderland.

...like having a child, except better. They don't cry when they're young or talk back when they grow up.

...buying any unnecessary thing you see that has dogs on it. Because it's cute and the dog kinda looks like yours.

...choosing to buy new dog toys instead of new clothes because it is a lot more satisfying to watch.

...knowing that your dog is the cutest out there and that it is a non-debatable fact.

...being able to close your eyes at the dog park and pick out your dog just by their bark.

...feeling bad when you have to leave your apartment for a little while you go to class.

...hiding in your room to eat because you know they'll sit there and beg. Sometimes you let them beg, but you always end up giving them some of your food.

...not liking the people who don't treat their dogs as well as they should.

...looking forward to climbing into bed at the end of a long day to sleep next to your little fuzzball.

...how I've learned responsibility their life depends on it.

At the end of the day the list always turns out to be more positives and cuteness than I can handle. Making this list was such a good idea, it made me wonder why I was ever frustrated in the first place. Now that's a good list.