DJ Duos Galore in Gainesville

DJ Duos Galore in Gainesville

11

Numerous fraternities bringing big-name DJ's to town. Project 46, Chainsmokers and Caked Up all coming to UF 

Gainesville has worked hard to establish itself as a booming scene for the EDM community. With big names in the industry headlining events across town, a few fraternities are doing their part too.

On March 14, Phi Kappa Tau hosted Project 46 as part of their themed event, Oasis. After bringing mashup artist Kap Slap to town last year, they went bigger and better with Canadian duo Project 46. Their song “Last Chance” with Kaskade quickly went mainstream and the pair also have tunes with Laidback Luke and Paul Oakenfold.

The event was expected to have anywhere from 800 to 900 people roll through, but capacity constraints limit the house to only hold 600 guests at a given time. The brothers of Phi Kappa Tau hosted the event just for the sole purpose of having a good time. Oasis is their biggest event of the year and tickets were only $5.

After all the fun of hosting Luminox in their courtyard last year, the brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon brought in The Chainsmokers for their Pardi Gras event on March 15. 

Riding the wave of their viral hit song "#Selfie" the Chainsmokers have a string of hits under their belts, including popular remixes of Smallpools, Cash Cash and The Killers. 

"We were targeting artists that would be low cost, with potential to grow in relevance in the next six to eight months," Alex Goldenberg, a member of SAE said. "The Chainsmokers seemed like a great target and they fulfilled it. 

As for what to expect looking forward, look out for Chi Phi and Caked Up to bring the party.

Chi Phi is bringing Caked Up to town on Friday, March 21. Caked Up is a group that appeals to those who might not normally listen to EDM, considering they have a great deal of top-40 remixes and mash ups. With their "Wrecking Ball" remix having amassed more than 1 million plays on Soundcloud, Caked Up is riding high and ready to party.  

Chi Phi is expecting at least 500 people because of the high demand. “We have people driving down from all across the south to come to this,” chapter President Josh Goldsmith said.

Tickets are currently selling for $10, but they will go up to $15 the day of the event. “We ain’t in the business of making money, we just wanna show the campus a good time and reach out to people that maybe haven’t hung around here before,” Goldsmith said. “We’re all Gators, it just seems right that we should all party together."