Distance Means So Little, When Friends Mean So Much

True friendship really does know no distance

61
google.com

“But life has a habit of taking those you want closest… and throwing them across oceans.”

Distance sucks, plain and simple. Whether it’s living far away from family, significant others or your parents, being far away from them can really be tough. But personally, I think it is so much more difficult when your very close friends live so far away from you.

All of my closest friends live far away from me. Some live just a 3-5 hour car ride away, while others live a 2 hour plane ride away. At times, I really hate this, since I can’t call them up on any random day and see if they want to go and do something, or just pop over to their house to hang out. When we want to see each other we need to plan a visit months in advance, save up our money and make sure we have super exciting things planned to make the trip really memorable. Not your normal kind of friendship, but I don’t think I would change that for anything.

When we do get to see each other, we make the most of our visit. I remember when I got to go to North Carolina and visit my best friend, we had the best time. Even though it was a four day trip, I can still remember everything that we did that weekend. Knowing that I would not be able to see her again for a while, or do fun things with her made the memories even more important to hold on to, and they meant even more. The same feeling occurs every time I get to see friends that I don’t see every day, week, or even months. Yes, the distance can tear people apart, but it can also make things more real and makes the friendship that much more to fight for. As it’s been said “True friendship knows no distance”.

I’ve had friendships that couldn’t hold up the hardships of distance. If you go into thinking it will be easy, you are mistaken. I think I took advantage of the fact that I got to see certain people everyday, and when I couldn’t, the friendship fell apart. Maybe it was a friendship that wasn’t meant to last forever, but it did teach me a lot. It showed me which friends are worth fighting for, and that miles are really just a number.

Even though I can’t see my three closest friends everyday, that doesn't stop them for being the best support system I have. I know I can call them or text them everyday and I know they will be there for me; and the same goes for them. When we finally get to catch up and have a phone conversation, the call can last for hours. There is so much to recap and tell each other, but it still feels like we live so close to each other.

Distance can be a tough thing to overcome, but it can make the relationship that much more meaningful. If you are able to see your best friend or important person in your life everyday, never take that for granted. One thing I’ve learned through this all and always try to remember is “Distance shouldn’t matter because at the end of the day we’re all under the same sky.”