The One Disney Movie You Should Watch On Each Major Holiday

(If you find the time!)

606
YouTube

It was super hard, but I did it: I managed to find the perfect Disney movie to watch on each major holiday!

Since holidays and movies go together like peanut butter and jelly, if you find the time on the next holiday, why not flip on one of these delightful Disney selections from animated classics to live-action obscurities!

Or better yet, challenge yourself to watch them all over the course of the year! 😮

1. New Year's Day (January 1):

“Hercules" (1997)

With two characters who take risks, fulfill their dreams, and find themselves by the film's end, what other Disney movie is better suited to inspire you as you generate your own New Years' resolutions than "Hercules"?

2. Martin Luther King Jr. Day (third Monday of January):

"Zootopia" (2016)

Bonus pick: "The Color of Friendship" (2000)

3. Groundhog's Day (February 2):

"Bambi II" (2006)

In the spirit of Groundhog's Day, "Bambi II" is about growing up as winter turns to spring.

(Oh, and there are also adorable groundhogs! 😊)

4. Valentine's Day (February 14):

“Lady and the Tramp" (1955)

No other movie can live up to this timeless Disney romance. ❤️

5. Lunar New Year (Falls on the night of the New Moon between January 21 and February 20):

“Mulan" (1998)

Bonus picks: "My Neighbor Totoro" (1988) and "Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior" (2006)

6. Presidents' Day/George Washington's Birthday (the third Monday of February):

“National Treasure" (2004)

Bonus pick: "My Date With the President's Daughter" (1998)

7. Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday (The day before Ash Wednesday, typically in February or March):

“The Princess and the Frog" (2008)

Because "The Princess and the Frog" is to Mardi Gras as "The Santa Clause" is to Christmas!

8. St. Patrick's Day (March 17):

“Luck of the Irish" (2003)

Bonus pick: "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (1959)

9. Easter (Falls on a Sunday between March 22 - April 25):

“Bambi" (1942)

It's perfect for Easter: bunnies, bunnies, and more bunnies!

(But of course, it's Thumper who steals the show!)

10. April Fool's Day (April 1):

“The Emperor's New Groove" (2000)

No other Disney movie captures the spirit of April Fools Day quite like “The Emperor's New Groove." With one gag after another, this animated adventure keeps you laughing—and guessing who the joke will be on next!

11. Earth Day (April 22):

“WALL-E" (2008)

Bonus picks: "Earth" (2007), The Lion King (1994)

12. Cinco de Mayo (May 5):

“The Three Caballeros" (1944)

Take a leap into Donald, Panchito, and Jose's "Technicolor" world where every day is a fiesta!

13. Mother's Day (Second Sunday of May):

“Brave" (2012)

Bonus pick: “The Aristocats" (1970) because Duchess is the GMOAT: Greatest Mother of All Time.

14. Memorial Day (last Monday of May):

"Valiant" (2005)

"Valiant" manages to touch on the themes of World War II while also telling a story inspired by the actual messenger pigeons who aided the Allies, making it an excellent movie pick for Memorial Day.

15. Father's Day (Third Sunday of June):

“Finding Nemo" (2003)

Bonus pick: "The Game Plan" (2007) with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

16. Fourth of July (July 4):

"Johnny Tremain" (1957)

Oh, you didn't think you were going to spend your day learning about history, did you? 😏

17. Labor Day (First Monday of September):

“Newsies" (1992)

In honor of Labor Day, check out this Disney musical classic that features the triumphs of young newsboys who went on strike—and exposed their mistreatment and low wages in order to inspire change!

18. Columbus Day (Second Monday of October):

“Pocahontas" (1995)

Forget Columbus—how about celebrating this day with a tale about a wise Native American Princess and her tribe who put settlers to shame?

19. Halloween (October 31):

“Hocus Pocus“ (1993)

(But that's a no-brainer!)

Bonus picks: “Halloweentown“ (1998), “Nightmare Before Christmas“ (1993), “The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" (1949)

20. Día de Muertos (October 31 - November 1):

“Coco" (2017)

Just make sure you keep the tissues handy...

21. Veterans Day (November 11):

"Bedknobs and Broomsticks" (1971)

This live-action Disney movie touches on the uncertainty of war through children's eyes, but also reflects themes of bravery and optimism—all of which are themes that suit Veterans Day well!

22. Thanksgiving (Fourth Thursday of November): “Ratatouille" (2007)

Bonus pick: “Eddie's Million Dollar Cook-Off“ (2003)

23. Hanukkah (Anytime from late November to late December for eight nights):

“Full-Court Miracle" (2001)

It's the ending that truly taps into the spirit of Hanukkah, and ties the themes of the movie together quite nicely!

24. Christmas (December 25):

“The Santa Clause" (1994)

Bonus picks: "The Muppet Christmas Carol" (1992), "Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas" (1997), "Mickey's Christmas Carol" (1983)

25. New Year's Eve (December 31):

“High School Musical" (2008)

End your year with a movie that celebrates stepping into a new chapter in your life!

Did I overlook any cultural holidays while making this list? Which Disney movies would you recommend watching on those holidays? Tweet me your thoughts @missjulia1207!

**An earlier version of this article omitted Valentine's Day and Earth Day—thank you to the readers who pointed this out!**